Is it too late?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zen68, Oct 10, 2008.

1. zen68

zen68 New Member

I just got denied AGAIN (second time) for SSI. After reading some of these posts, it appears as though I have been going about it all wrong for the last 10 months. I have been to the doctor, but not nearly as often as it sounds like I should have been. I saw a rheumatologist, who turned out to be a quack, even though he did give me my diagnosis, and then I never saw him again. I also have bipolar disorder and adhd, which between those and the FM I had a breakdown a few months ago and ended up on the psych ward. I see a cognitive behavioral therapist for the last 7 months, who told me the other day that she thinks I could work full times if I really put my mind to it. I'm not even sure myself at this point if I could work full time, but am afraid to try only to find out that I can't do it. I'm torn. What should I do now? I have made an appointment with another rheumy, but they can't see me until January. I am starting to think that I really don't have a chance. I need encouragement, or maybe a good swift kick in the butt.
  2. 5hei1a

5hei1a New Member

Just some things I know because I have been through....

My husband FINALLY got his disability about a year ago. He does not have FM but the process is pretty much the same.

He was denied the first time and then we got a lawyer. But, it wasn't until we got all the exact forms and a doctor willing to fill them out that we had any luck. He never saw a "bunch" of doctors or had a lot of visits either.

I'm not sure what the next step is after being denied twice...but I'm sure there is one. DO NOT GIVE UP.....I think there is even a "free" attorney source. I will try to find that out.

Given that you have the bipolar disorder as well as FM and should be able to get the disability. I have heard that the "mental" disorders are easier to get approved for than the physical (no hard facts, just what I have heard).

Whatever the case may be, you need to take care of you. And if that means NOT WORKING....then don't give up on the disability.

Did not meant to carry on so....I just understand where you are coming from and the frustrations of trying to get the disability.

By the way, I have FM and CFS....I am still working....but barely.

Soft hugs,
  3. Engel

Engel New Member

I am waiting on my second denial (we appealed in August after 1st denial). I was told by my representatives (Crowe Paradis) that after the 2nd denial we go to HEARING LEVEL in front of a Judge (I think this is ALJ?) and he/she makes a decision.

Do you have representation?

Best wishes ... you are closer than I am.
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

Do not stop now! Your next step will be a hearing before a judge...

Now is the time to get a disability lawyer: he will see that your myriad and difficult diagnoses will qualify you for disability, regardless of what the behaviorial therapist say.

You have to convince the judge that you have learned how to COPE with your illnesses, but they still prevent you from being reliable and able to show up for work everyday. The side effects for meds alone can disable you probably.

Get the attorney: go with the one with a good ad in the telephone book, or ask around to anyone you know who has used one.

You'll get it, stop worrying yourself sick, ok?

5. zen68

zen68 New Member

He's a wonderful guy who actually seems like he cares about me, not just the cut he might get. He keeps telling me to hang in there and not give up. Thanks you guys for the encouragement.