Is Klonopin and Neurontin the same type of drug?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimo, May 26, 2003.

1. kimo

kimo New Member

I took Neurontin for quite awhile until I found it contributed to osteoporosis(which I have) so I stopped. I have heard alot of people say they take Klonopin. I always thought it was like Lorazapam(a nerve pill) and then looked it up and found out differently. Is it addictive and does it contribute to osteoporosis? Thanks for the help...KIM
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know much about whether taking Klonopin contributes to osteoporosis or not. Since I take it, I guess I had better look it up. Klonopin is in the benzo family, the same family as Vallium. Klonopin is not psychologically addictive, per se, but one does develop a physical dependence on it much as a diabetic becomes dependent on insulin. One must slowly wean off the Klonopin if quitting.

For me, the Klonopin has been a God send. It has helped my sensory overload and tinnitus, and it has greatly reduced my sensory overload and allowed me to get a good night's sleep.

Love, Mikie
  3. AC77

AC77 New Member

Klonopin, is a benzodiazepine, In the same family as Ativan, Valium, Xanax (a tribenzodiazepine) and Serax. It can be addictive, physcially if taken high-dose or even low dose long-term. A slow careful weaing process should help eliminate any of these issues. And of course, the lowest dose that helps you, should be used.

Neurontin, is another anticonvulsant with many off label uses also, but definetly, entirely different. It is believed to work on specific amino acids that affect the seizure threshold. Not addictive but it also should not be stopped suddenly....like any Rx med almost.