Is Klonopin just found in the USA??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen_dean, Nov 9, 2005.

1. karen_dean

karen_dean New Member

Just curious..I am suffering so bad with my "racing brain"..I need help...and was told by my Dr. that he knows nothing about this drug..it's this drug in the same group as a nerve pill for anxiety & panic attacks..I take lorazapam aks "ativan"..X2 1 mg daily.

I need some help and advice..I feel I have 99% of the time, someone else is controling my stupid thoughts and I havn't the control to "push" the stop button to clear my head even just to relax and concentrate on watching t.v. reading..or carrying a normal conversation.

I heard that magnesium/calicum helps..I have just started taking it this morning and will take it three times a day as prescribe on bottle. Do you have any feed back..Gosh I would certainly appreciate it alot!!

Blessings

~~~*Karen*~~~
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Karen,
    I'm in Toronto and I take Clonazepam. It's the same thing in generic form. The drug is also called Rivotril and that is available in Canada.

Good Luck.

Kathy.
  3. orachel

orachel New Member

...You're not taking elavil or provigil, are you? I had weird almost manic racing thinking and talking when on those.

As for klonopin, I don't know how long its been around, but very commonly given for FM. I take a 1mg dose at bedtime, and its the best I've found for sleep.

Go to AFSA website..there's a great printable chart of meds commonly prescribed for FM, along with type of drug, result, side effects, dosages, etc....

You can take this to your doctor.

Hugs,
    Rachel
  4. kalaya

kalaya New Member

Look for clonazepam because this is the generic form of klonipin.God bless.
  5. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I just want to make something clear, clonazepam is not the generic for Klonopin, for a drug to be classified as a generic it has to have the exact same absorption, half-life time, bio-availability etc. as the original.

If it has the same active but not the exact same as mentioned above, it is called a pharmaceutical equivalent, and you can not make the claim that clonazepam would have the exact same effect as Klonopin, as you would have with a generic.
    I hope now that people won't jump on my head but I'm a pharmacist and I'm not making this up.

Karen, in south africa we don't have Klonopin but I take Rivotril.

Phoebe
  6. karen_dean

karen_dean New Member

thank you for your responses...and your help..

Blessings

~~~*Karen*~~~
  7. tcluna

tcluna New Member

In other countries it is called Rivotril. Just in the USA is it called Klonopin.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Clonazepam
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Clonazepam

5-(2-chlorophenyl)-1,3-dihydro-
    7-nitro-2H-1,4-benzodiazepine-2-one
    CAS number
    1622-61-3 ATC code
    N03AE01
    Chemical formula C15H10ClN3O3
    Molecular weight 315.715
    Bioavailability 90%
    Metabolism Hepatic
    Elimination half-life 30-40 hours
    Excretion Renal
    Pregnancy category D
    Legal status Schedule IV Drug
    Routes of administration Intravenous, tablets 0.5 mg, 1 mg, and 2 mg
    Clonazepam (marketed by Roche under the trade-name KlonopinĀ® in the United States and RivotrilĀ® in Canada and Europe) is an anticonvulsant sedative-hypnotic anxiolytic (anti-anxiety drug), and a member of the benzodiazepine class of drugs. Like other benzodiazepines, Clonazepam is believed to act by simulating the action of GABA on the central nervous system. Clonazepam was approved in the United States as a generic medication in 1997 and is now manufactured and marketed by several companies.

Love, Mikie
  9. skymage

skymage New Member

Really> clonzapam isn't the same as Klonopin? For me they work exactly the same. I've had Klonopin and then changed to generic clonzapam. Probably spelling wrong here. That medicine was THE BEST THING I ever took for my fibro. Most muscle spasms went away. Also the strange eye problem I had where one eye was dark like I was wearing sun glasses over one eye. Weird huh? I still have pain of course but all the weird sensations went away too. I understand that racing feeling I used to get it all the time before I took the klonopin. But they also put me on Depekote at the same time and told me to QUIT taking sinequan and flexeril for they don't mix well. Sinequan and flexeril did absolutely nothing for my fibro but make me feel like a zombie.

I used to take magnesium and calcium - still take calcium. The magnesium used to help with the racy feeling until it got too bad.

Hope this helps. Maybe you can get referred to a neurologist. That's who put me on Klonopin anD Depekote. Even though he decided to diagnose me with anxiety and migraies I didn't care the medicine worked. And he even said it was like I turned into a whole different person once I changes meds. oh yeah plus I don't get dizzy anymore when I move my head around.

Blessed be,

Skymage
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Clonazepam is the active ingredient in the brand name Klonopin.

Dr. Cheney prefers that his patients use the brand name Klonopin. I always try generics first and found the clonazepam to work fine for me. It's so much cheaper.

The fillers and coatings on drugs can affect how well they are absorbed and this may be why Cheney perfers the brand name.

My pharmacist prefers the generic for Synthroid. I buy the brand name because it is an old cheap drug. Once the pharmacist gave me the generic and it really made me feel wired. He's right, the generic is better absorbed, but that also makes it more potent.

Love, Mikie

11. rily

rily New Member

I have been sleeping like a baby since I started Klonopin in its generic form.
  12. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Clonazepam is the active ingredient in Klonopin, some people think that when different meds contain the same active ingredient, then they are generics of the original (the first med with that specific ingredient), as explained this is not the case.
    A generic is exactly the same as the original in every way, in the case of Klonopin (or rivotril) things like Adco-Clonazepam etc. are therapeutic equivalents.

Phoebe
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Has become generic itself. When I sold insurance with an Rx benefit, we learned that not all "generics" are created equal. I think the term, generic, has been expanded through the common vernacular to include any substitutions for brand names.

We were told that A Class Generics have to be identical to the brand name. After that, there are still several levels of drugs which may be substituted for brand names. They are referred to as "equivalents."

I discussed this with my pharmacist at Albertsons and he said that Albertsons/Savon/Osco only substitutes the best drugs and not the many cheaper equivalents available. Perhaps that is why I've had no problems with using generic meds, except the Synthroid. My druggist feels Synthroid isn't the best med and thinks the substitute is much better. As I explained above, that's probably true but it worked too well for me. As it is, I'm only taking 25 mcg. of Synthroid and any more wires me.

If anyone has questions about any substitutions, he or she should discuss this with the pharmacist. Pharmacists are a wealth of info.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2005]
  14. GwenGlo

GwenGlo New Member

Hi Karen_ I just read an article in Alive (Canadian magazine of natural health) which said that because calcium competes with magnesium for absorption they should be taken separately otherwise little of the magnesium will be absorbed. Dr. Andrew Weil M.D. also made the same observation and said he doesn't know why it is being marketed as one pill.
    I also read somewhere that magnesium taken at bedtime gives the most benefit. With this 'memory' I have I don't remember the reason for it.
    Blessings.........Gwen

15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Works to heal muscle tissue. If taken with calcium, they will bind together and not as much magnesium will be available for muscle repair. The ZMA sold here says in the directions not to take with calcium.

Phosphates will also bind with the calcium--another reason to take the calcium by itself. If taken with meals, it will cause phosphate debris to be excreted through the intestines, according to Dr. St. Amand, the father of the Guai Protocol. This keeps the body from storing the phosphate crystals in the soft tissue.

Minerals should not be taken close to the time Klonopin or Neurontin is taken as they can interfere with efficacy of the antiseizure med.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2005]
  16. karen_dean

karen_dean New Member

went to walk in clinic last evening because I had a UTI and just for the sake of asking about this drug the Dr. knew all about it..and just wanted to let you all know who responsed to my post...I got a script for.. clonazapam...yipppeee!!!!...after not knowing whether it is found here in Canada...imagine???

So I'm really hoping that it will help me..as much as it has helped u.

I have taken lorazapam for so long...and hoping this drug will help my head feel like I'm a bit more in control.

Thanks again for your help...and feed back as well on magnesium as well.

Blessings to all.

~~~*Karen*~~~