Is lower back pain and SI joint pain a trigger in Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Feb 23, 2011.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I'm having such a bad time with lower back pain and in SI joint (buttocks). One therapist says it also has to do with my fibro because I can move the joint - it's mostly muscular and tendon pain. I have heard other people say it's hard to walk and stand with fibro. This is what I'm experiencing now (didn't have this years ago).

My rheummy is testing also for autoimmune disorders. Oh, I thought it was only fibro and myofascial trigger point pain. I sure hope it's nothing else. Most of my lumbar x-rays only show minimal arthritis.

I don't really do pain pills (they make me feel wierd) so just Tylenol and heat. Any other suggestions. Some say to take SAME-e and/or Ginger for pain.

Any suggestions will help. I seem to have had mild fibro and now it's worse.

2. ellikers

ellikers New Member

For myofascial pain, I do at home trigger point release for my hips with a tennis ball. I also make sure to increase my mineral intake esp. magnesium and drink more water. Water is necessary to increase your body's ability to keep healthy and manage all our systems, and can help flush out waste. Magnesium is important in helping muscles relax and stop cramping.

Physical therapy in general has been a lifesaver for me! That's where I learned about tennis ball trigger point release and they helped me calm down trigger point flare ups and also restrengthen all my muscles so that I use them appropriately- and don't overuse some, and under use others which can be a big source of trigger point pain!

Here is some info on tennis ball trigger point release

The basic idea of tennis ball massage

The basic idea of tennis ball massage, or any massage with any kind of ball, is simply to trap the ball between your body and something else: usually the floor, sometimes a wall, another body part, and a few other creative options.

Everything else is a variation on this theme!

The therapeutic goals of tennis ball massage

The goal of tennis ball massage is to achieve a “release” by applying just the right amount of pressure: enough to do some good, but not enough to irritate the knot. The sensation should be clear and strong and satisfying, what we call “good pain.” If you are wincing or gritting your teeth, you need to be more gentle. You need to be able to relax.

Once you have adjusted yourself to achieve the right pressure, relax as much as possible and wait for the sensation to fade to about eighty percent of the original intensity. This is the “release” — a change in the physiological state of the tissues, or a “melting” of the knot. This can take anywhere from ten seconds to several minutes.

Trigger point massage often provides only temporary relief. Here are some basic tips and tricks to help make it last as long as possible:

* Treat only a few knots at a time, starting with the worst spots.
    * Use heat in conjunction with treatment.
    * Avoid fatiguing the muscle for about 24 hours after treatment.
    * Move and stretch the muscles after the release of each knot.

[This Message was Edited on 02/28/2011]