Is Medicare helpful to Someone with Private Insurance already?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CAAnnieB, Nov 21, 2005.

1. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi All,

I will soon be eligible for Medicare because of being on SSDI for 2 years. I already have fairly good health insurance (Blue Cross PPO) through my hubby's job.

My question is: Is there any reason why I should take advantage of the Medicare insurance? Does it ever pay for part of what private insurance doesn't pay for? Can you coordinate the 2 insurances to get better coverage? I doubt it, but I'm clueless about this!

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Wishing you all a VERY thank-filled Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for all of you & your wonderful support!

Blessings & Hugs,
    Annie
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

insurer but I am pretty sure you can not have double coverage. Atleast that is how it is in SD. I do not know about your state:) They may be able to be primary & secondary - sorry, I'm not much help today at all. Augh!!!

I would say just give them a call.

Kelly
  3. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

I guess I could call my Dr's office too, seeing as they deal with insurance issues daily.

Blessings,
    Annie
  4. mariee

mariee Member

When you find out, would you share your answer? I am in the same boat, and I don't know if I need to respond to Medicare at all...I am on Medicare for hospitalization only.
    Blessings on Thanksgiving to you too
    Marie
  5. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Good luck finding out. I was eligable in June and called medicare several times and my BCBS PPO and I did find out that BCBS is priamry and medicare is secondary, but never could figure out if it was worth the $80+ dollars a month for the premium...so I gave up and didnt get it. So if you find anything out please share w/us. I can still join anytime they said w/o a penalty since I already have insurance through my husbands work. Hope you find some answers..
  6. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

One of the gals in the office said that they DO bill 2 insurances for some patients & that Medicare is one of those insurances. Now she's not the office insurance expert; so she recommended I call back when the expert is in...on Wed. So I will do that! I'll keep you posted.

Blessings,
    Annie
  7. suz9601

suz9601 Member

As far as I understand it ..Your insurace will be primary if you are under retirement age and your spouses company has over 200 employees. They told me that under this condition I can take it later and not be penalized. Something about a special entry period..you can call 1-800-medicare and request the meicare and you 2005 booklet. It tells some about it there.

That is what I was told anyway. I also called my insurance and they too told me they are primary and meicare secondary in my situation..I also have BCBS PPO...

It's all so confusing. That's why I told you good luck. Each time I would call it got more and more confusing..Then they gave me the number to a service that is kind of the middle man between insurances and medicare but they weren't helpful either...[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2005]