Is mold and mildew the same thing?? is it dangerous?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tandy, Oct 13, 2008.

  1. tandy

    tandy New Member

    Hi all,...
    I've read several times members health concerns on black mold.
    Is this the same thing as mildew that sometimes grows in your bathroom??
    we have poor ventilation in our upstairs bathroom,..and all over the upper walls(towards the ceilings,.. theres what looks like mildew.
    I try to keep up on it but it keeps coming back.

    Is this kind just as dangerous to mess with?
    is it bad to breath it in ?

    is there a better way then spray clorox to clean it with?

  2. 1sweetie

    1sweetie New Member

    My son is a mold remediation specialist so I asked him your question and this is his answer:

    " If what you are seeing is black, it is likely that it is mold. The only way to be 100% sure is to have an environmental hygienist perform some test in the affected area. A hygienist does not remediate the problem they just determine what type of mold you have, is it potentially harmful and if the mold mold has become airborne. By cleaning/agitating these areas you are actually making the problem worse. You are making the mold airborne. If in fact it is mold, you should look in to having it done professionally, by someone who is CERTIFIED, not just any old cleaning company. And MAKE SURE that whatever is causing the problem is corrected before you have it remediated, the hygienist or the remediation contractor will usually identify the problem for you. If you or anyone in your family has a weakened immune system, or they're elderly or very young they are at a greater risk. Make SURE you use the right people, there are definitely people who will take advantage of people's lack of knowledge regarding mold. In the meantime, do NOT agitate or attempt to clean, clorox does nothing to mold. Keep the area covered and sealed with plastic and tape if possible. I know that's a lot but when it comes to mold it is ALWAYS better to air on the side of caution. Hope this helps, good luck!!!"
  3. budmickl

    budmickl New Member

    What I have is black slimey mold from storage boxes being filled with rain water. I have been up to my elbows in it, breathing it in for several hours. I think whatever else is ruined is just going to be pitched. It's not worth the health risk to try and clean it.

    I did bring some of the paper work into the house to dry out... I wonder what damage that has done to me and my dog??

  4. tandy

    tandy New Member

    and good luck budmicky.(already forgot how you spell your username) damn fibrofog.
  5. therealmadscientist

    therealmadscientist New Member

    I suspect the mold fairly harmless when wet and sticky. When it dries it can form spores and become airborne and be inhaled.
    Maybe dry the papers outside.

    Spores can be very hardy. Chlorox may kill the active fungus/mold but the spores may well survive to sprout in a day or two. Perhaps two cleanings in a row, about two days apart, might kill the spores when they sprout.

    Good luck, your mr bill
  6. budmickl

    budmickl New Member

    1Sweetie, how would I find a mold remediation specialist? How would it be listed in the yellow pages? Would they be exterminators? I am thinking of calling one into the house not only because of my recent goof up, but my shower leaks inside the wall and so there is mold in the bathroom. I never really thought about it until all this came up. Maybe that is one reason I feel so sluggish and down for so long??? Maybe my house is making me sick.

    Mr Bill - thank you for a bit of encouragement! The only dry mold that is in the house is in the papers that I dried and I will taking them out to the shed before going to work. Of course, that doesn't undo what I've already brought into the house, but at least they won't be spreading.


[ advertisement ]