IS MORPHINE ADDICTIVE?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by QueenieWong, Aug 15, 2006.

1. QueenieWong

QueenieWong New Member

Hi all,

My Rhumey has prescribed oxycontin (one every 12 hours_ for about 8 years. I only take as needed because they are really expensive and they cause constipation. When I was in yesterday I told her I could no onger afford them and she wrote an RX for morphine. I was mortified and she said one opiate is no worse than another. Has anyone had side effects or felt like they got addicted? Thanks you any and all help.

Vicki
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Hi Vicki

You might do an on-line search on each med and see what it says. I believe oxycontin is also addictive, isn't that what Rush Limbaugh was addicted to?

However, I agree with the other poster. It's not a question of taking the med to get high, we take it to function. Although I consider myself dependant on my pain meds, I do not consider myself addicted.

Hope you get an answer to your questions.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  3. QueenieWong

QueenieWong New Member

Thanks for the replies. I have not gotten addicted to the oxycontin so I didn't really see a problem with the morphine. Basically it's just the name itself I guess.

Vicki
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but it's really improving my quality of life.Linda
  5. iggyangel

iggyangel New Member

IF you did not get addicted to Oxy, then you probably wont to morphine..
    Yes most of us here are "dependant" on our pain meds, just like a diabetic or heart patient is dependant on their meds for quality of life.
    Our country is opiate paranoid.
    I dont know how it all started,
    but it is.
    opiates do not damage the liver, like other OTC pain relief meds,
    Monitor yourself w/a pain diary, and how you feel.
    Ive read research saying about 1% of people on pain meds get addicted,
    Its sad how we can give terminally ill people pain relief w/no problem, but if youre alive and kicking we are somehow suppose to just deal w/it by most docs...
    like the others said, do some research on it, maybe thru Pubmed or reliable sources...
    there are alot of articles and stuff but it may not be reliable.
    only professional studies and input.
    thanks again for all your help w/me getting a better doc.
    write back after you get some info and see how you feel.
    many blessings,
    Iggy
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

YES. YES. YES.

Morphine, oxycontin, Percocets, Lortabs, etc.

All narcotics have the potential to be addictive, and/or develop a dependence upon them.

However, if you are in dire pain and need them, you sometimes don't have much other choice.

You have to do what you have to do. If your quality of life is nil due to extreme pain, then my personal opinion is to take them and worry about the dependence/addiction issue when you no longer need them.

Before you decide to go off of them, make sure you consult with your doctor. If you have been taking them for quite a while, your doctor may want to help you withdraw from them so you don't have any medical problems while doing so.

I would think it would be imperative to consult your doctor before going off them if you have any heart problems, respiratory problems, etc.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is very, very low in people who take opiods for chronic pain. With regular use, tolerance can develop but that is not the same thing. Tolerance just means you may have to increase the dose to achieve the same level of pain relief over time.

Addiction gets a lot of press, especially when celebrites are involved. This can distory the conception of psychological addiction and opiods. There are millions of people with chronic pain who take opiods for pain relief and who do not become psychologically addicted.

I took Morphine and it was a God send for me back when my pain levels were so high. I also have Vicodin and it works well for me too. The last time I had to take Vicodin, I did get a bit of a high from it but I had no desire to repeat the experience. It is the only time I have gotten a buzz from a pain med.

Love, Mikie
  8. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

If you take it when you have no pain yes because its just for "the feeling". The only feeling we want is pain relief. He said most people with chronic pain do not become addicted.
    I agree with the other poster- high to feel high, I could only dream LOL. Im to busy feeling like crap LOL. If you take it as perscribed you will be fine.
    Hope you feel better....
    Melinda
  9. Aghllw

Aghllw New Member

I have taken Kadian in the past (time released morphine) and the one complaint I had was severe constipation. I now take Norco 4 times a day with a muscle relaxer at night.

As far as adiction goes, if you need the medication, you can't really be addicted to it..so my dr says. If you are taking more than prescribed consistently, that COULD consitute a problem. However, work with your dr on what the correct dose is for you. Also, don't ever stop taking them cold turkey...withdrawls from opiates are terrible and can make you really sick!

God Bless vicki!!
  10. QueenieWong

QueenieWong New Member

I would like to personally thank everyone who took the time to answer my question. Picked up the RX today, but will probably wait until tonight to make sure I have no adverse reactions. Again, thank you everyone so much!!

Vicki