Is my antidepressant supposed to help with pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I'm not sure why I take Effexor. I'm on a very low dose, 37mg a day, and I think it was originally prescribed to help with sleep.

I don't think it helps with my sleep and I'm not anymore depressed then anybody who hurts all the time so I would like to stop taking it.

In fact, I didn't take it last night (will take every other day for a bit, then back off some more until what I have is gone). This morning I hurt everywhere. I don't know if it is "just" a flare or if the Effexor has something to do with it.

Any thoughts, experience, etc?

Thanks,
    Greenbean
  2. redtex

redtex New Member

effexor is one of the hardest to come off of because of it's short half life. withdrawal can be confused with a return of the original symptoms. you should taper off of it very slowly. lots of doctors don't seem to understand this. the road back program has good information on this. good luck and take it slow. you may have to mix it with juice and drink progressively smaller amounts of the mixture.
  3. springlakeorphan

springlakeorphan New Member

When I was first dx with fibro, an antidepressant was the only thing I was given. I asked "what the he*l is this gonna do for pain?" I swithced drs because I thought mine must be a quack. The next two also said that "the right" antidepressant will help with pain. They explained it in technical terms wich at the time made sence. So that's my 2 cents for ya. Good luck and think twice before you stop it altogether. Good luck sweetie! God bless! Mary
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2007]
  4. I was told it doesn't help take away the pain, but our endorphins are low and they help us feel better.
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Very interesting info!

I spoke with my doc today and he felt that it was ok for me to try without it, but not to feel like I had failed if I had to start taking it again. He said it helps some FM patients and not others so to experiment and see if I can tell a difference.

I understand withdrawal can be a problem but because of the low dosage Doc said it would be ok to stop cold turkey if I wanted to or to taper off if that was more comfortable.

Thanks for your info!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  6. brensjoy

brensjoy New Member

My dr. had me on cymbalta for depression and pain. Its very expensive but it does help.