Is my doctor right?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JD99, Aug 18, 2008.

1. JD99

JD99 New Member

Maybe I shouldn't be such a cynic but after going through so many doctors before getting a dianogsis I tend to hesitate over (almost) anything one tells me these days.

My rheumatologist (sorry if that's misspelled) is the one who diagnosed me and when he did he handed me a tiny pamphlet from the Arthritis Foundation and said that was all I needed to read about FMS. He actually told me not to go off searching the net or whatever gathering information on my own - which, of course, I quickly disobeyed.

At my last visit - just today - I told him that I was feeling just as bad if not worse as I was when first diagnosed and that the problems in my shoulder, which he said is tendonitis, seemed like more than that to me. I told him everything that had been going on causing pain. His answer to me was that I just need to excersise more even if it hurts and blamed everything else on poor posture and extra belly fat. I am 15 pounds overweight or so, granted, but this is the lightest weight I've been since college and since I've always had a bit of a belly I find it hard to think all my problems now are because of that. Plus he kept testing the strength of my muscles and telling me I ought to be stronger than him because I'm young.

But is he right to tell me I should double up on the excersise I'm already doing when I'm already totally exhausted when I get off work? And to keep doing it even when I feel like my hips and pelvis are being shredded from the inside out? Is that really going to make me have more energy when all is said and done?
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

If I've ever read anything that screams "2nd Opinion!", this is it.

Please do so....

3. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

It sounds to me like your doctor gave you the FMS diagnosis but doesn't actually believe in Fibromyalgia. I'd definitely run like heck.
  4. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member so WRONG! Run and get a 2nd opinion! Trust your gut instincts when it comes to exercise. If it hurts - stop!

My rheumy advised me to start with swimming as it is less strain on muscles and joints.

Knowledge is power. Keep searching and gathering all the information you possibly can!

5. ReginaF

ReginaF New Member

Your doctor does not know what he is talking about. If your body is screaming in pain, it only makes sense to let it rest. Your extra 15 lbs makes no difference in FMS and your muscle "grasp" level will not be the same as others. I just spoke to my cousin who is a cardiologist and he said fibromyalgia is the most frustrating diagnosis for doctors because it does not have a cure and most doctors (even rheumatologists) do not take courses in FMS. When I was first diagnosed over 12 years ago, I bought book after book on FMS. They really helped me a lot in terms of different approaches to FMS and also in telling myself that I was not crazy. FMS is real. Arm yourself with knowledge, find a new doc and take it easy. He could be doing you more harm than good. Best wishes, Regina
  6. JD99

JD99 New Member

I was referred to him in the first place because he's pretty much the only one here that handles this sort of thing. When he told me not to research I got the first big red flag but I thought if he seemed to know what he was doing as time went on I could let that slide (and keep studying on my own regardless of what he'd said).

He's overlooking the fact that I used to excersise - hard - for at least an hour every day until I got so sick and felt so badly I just couldn't do it anymore. I was never rock hard, I've always had some extra weight, but if doing more work outs back then didn't make me feel better I don't see how doing it now will. When I mentioned that he brought up seasonal depression because I'm of English descent and he's noticed white people often get more depressed as the winter approaches (he's Greek, by the way) and depression can make joints and things ache... which I thought was what fibro does. I've never been a sunshine person but I'm less depressed now than I was even just a year ago and I ache just the same. And I happen to prefer the gloomy days. Besides, the days I was recounting to him were all in July.

My main concern is that I think I have a trigger point type of thing going on in my shoulder and if I do, if I read on it correctly, doing these strengthening excersises WILL do more harm than good unless the trigger is addressed. He says to just do it more. He also told me to take Excedrin Migraine when I get my nasty days long headaches but they have caffiene in them and I thought we were supposed to avoid caffiene?

Anyway, thank you guys for replying and reassuring me. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about him since I don't think there's another doctor in my area but it helps just knowing I'm not wrong about him.
  7. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

Yes.. I can't believe that any doctor would tell a person to NOT research a disease you have. Please try to find another doctor.
    Will your general doctor treat you for the FM?

I don't think hard exercise is right. I know lots of info says water aerobics are good for FM. My general doctor suggested Yoga and gentle stretching.

Please know that what he is telling makes him sound ignorant of the true nature of this DD. Keep checking this board and you will learn more from everyone on here than even reading all the "official" websites. Here you get real life experiences and support!

Hang in there!
  8. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Definitely find a new doc!

First, 15lbs is not grossly overweight. I've gained 80lbs from meds in the last 10 y ears, and am seriously overweight, but no doctor has ever said this contributes to FM/CFS.

Second, if it hurts, don't do it! I used to belong to a gym and worked out daily but now I find it terribly difficult to lift 5 lb weights a few times a week.

I personally don't trust doctors and never take a prescribed med without fully researching it - and half the time just toss out the prescription. I mostly diagnose myself (I'm good at diagnosing and if I were well, would co this as a career) then go to my primary care and have her confirm.
  9. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

That is because they are afraid you are going to learn more than they know. It happens all the time, with as much access to information, medical journals, and these types of boards on the internet. I feel that is just an admission of "I don't really know much about this myself, but I'm the professional, and I don't want you to get ahead of me."

I believe any good doctor that really dedicated to helping you would encourage you to do your own research, and bring new info to them about things you have found out that sound like they might help you. The doctor I see now does, but some of the idiots I have seen in the past were the same as your doctor.

As far as I'm concerned a patient just about has to do their own research in order to get anywhere, especially with these DDs.

Do try to find another doctor. You may be able to find one in your area through this or some of the other FM support website.

I almost forgot. Any doctor that tells you to exercise more when what little you are doing is already hurting you is a COMPLETE IDIOT!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! (I'll calm down in a few minutes.)

[This Message was Edited on 08/19/2008]
  10. JD99

JD99 New Member

I wonder if the acid thing is part of the reason I react so badly to citrus fruits and drinks these days. It sounds like an interesting thing to check into.

It took a lot of restraint not to start telling him all the things I'd researched but if I'd gone down that road I would have probably lost my temper. They don't like to be contradicted. He prescribes my trazadone, which does seem to help a bit, so I don't want to break it off with him unless I have someone else to go to. It's something I'll definitely bring up right away with my next general physician - I've got to find a new one of those, too, because my old one just retired.

I do about 30 minutes of exercise now between walking after work around the grocery store and riding my stationary bike a bit. If I had a pool or hot tub I would do some work there. But 30 minutes scattered over the morning is pretty much my absolute limit; I'm dead by the time I get off work.

I'm going to keep reading and learning but it really frustrates me that I basically have to be my own doctor in that sense. It's totally being on your own without a doctor backing you - no help at all if you need to bring it up at work.
  11. JD99

JD99 New Member

You must have posted as I was typing the other. :p

That bothered me, too. The general doctor I had before that kept insisting I was just stressed and depressed and wanted to put me on anti-depressants and be done with me. Now he's saying I'm aching because even if it isn't bothering me I must be depressed. I've had some depression since puberty and I know the difference between how I used to feel and feel now - I know it isn't because of that.

What's depressing is paying ridiculous doctor bills to people that don't know as much as they should and don't listen to you.
  12. JD99

JD99 New Member

I'll look for it. It was funny you'd just mentioned it yesterday and then the newest fibro book I'm reading had a section about acids in our system. Seems like a sign to me. :p

And of course we're depressed. Who wouldn't be given the circumstances? If we walked around smiling and tossing out rainbows in the middle of a flare or bad day I think we'd be closer to sadists than showing a 'normal' positive attitude.

Someone I work with told me about a reflexologist. She's farther away than I'd like but not too far and she's done courses on fibro in the past so she should know a thing or two. I'm going to try to meet with her soon and see if she'll talk with me.
  13. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

Your post should be put on a card for us all to hand out when other people and DOCTORS think our problems are CAUSED by depression.

That might set them straight. That's just the way they need to hear it.

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2008]
  14. JD 99 that is dumb not to research on your own! DUH!

jeerie I totally agree on this..."Here's my theory on depression...who wouldn't be depressed if they were fighting chronic debilitating pain on a daily basis!?! *#@???!!%"

I saw my dr. yesterday and told her living with pain day after day makes a person depressed I was NOT depressed first. She agreed with me.

By the way your baby is adorable!
  15. wendysj

wendysj New Member

I have had many, many health issues: diabetes, vein issues in my legs and abdomen, endometriosis that led to full hystorectomy (sp?) and diagnosed with cfs in 05. I never believed it until now. I work full time, I'm unmarried and 27 yrs old. The pain is so bad, I'm usually crying by the time I get to the car. (I sit at a desk all day, I shouldn't hurt so bad. These are the lingering doubts.)
    Yesterday, I was diagnosed. I'm terrified. If I don't find a doc who believes the pain is real, I'm going to lose this fight. I guess I had to believe this pain/fatigue was real first. Thanks for the tips about the doctor. I'll see my first rheumatologist soon.

Good luck to you all.
  16. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

of anyone who wants me to stop researching anything myself. To me, that somebody wanting me to know only what they want me to know.

Love and hugs.