Is my doctor's receptionist out of her mind?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Skyemberr, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Skyemberr

Skyemberr New Member

Just thought I would post this because I can't be ht eonly person going through stuff like this:

I have FM and one of my problems is sleep. I have been taking Ambien for about 8 months, and have switched onto Lunesta and back off of it again 1 time when the Ambien has begun to lose effectiveness and I am back down to 2 hours of sleep per night. I typically take 30 days of Lunesta then do Ambien for 60 or more.

So here I am, back to my routine of falling asleep at 4 am so I called to have the doctor's office switch the prescription so I can get some sleep.

The receptionist called me back today to tell me that I cannot switch between the two medications in the future because it is too much work for the doctor's office to have to call the pharmacy back and switch it.

Is it just me, or would having a patient sleep at night seem to be a little bit more important???

The receptionist told me that she does not think the insurance company will allow me to change medicines in the future, even with my doctor oking in. Is this a line of bull?
  2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE YOU CAN SWITCH ANY TIME YOU WANT DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY SCIPTS IVE GONE THROUGH AND MY DR DONT SAY A WORD AND NEITHER DOES MY INS CO YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR INS AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY GOOD LUCK CHARLENE
  3. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

Hi,
    I also switch back and forth between different pain meds and a couple of muscle relaxants. My doctor writes me prescriptions for them when I see them each month.

My insurance doesn't have a problem with it. It makes sense wince when can become too used to different meds and then they don't work as well for us.

I agree that it sounds like a "I don't want to be bothered" kind of reply to me.

I would call my insurance company and see if there is any reason why you can't alternate. Best of luck. Val
  4. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

That sounds completely ridiculous. I think it is a line of bull. I have never heard of such a thing. Why can't they give you both prescriptions? Many people have multiple meds so why can't they give you a prescription for both?

That sounds like they are being lazy. You are what is important. They work for YOU. This is crazy. I wouldn't take it. I think you should call back and argue or find a new doctor.

GOSH what we have to go through!

Take Care,
    Pam
  5. Skyemberr

Skyemberr New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it, and it backs up how I already feel about the issue.

I would have changed doctors already, but I cannot seem to find one that looks right in Northern VA and am reluctant to just take a bunch of time going from Dr to Dr since of course, my sick leave is already exhausted from being sick. (go figure).

I looked at the good doctors list on this page and did not see any that were local and rheumys. Do any of you know of a good one that is south of Wash DC?

What my doc is doing currently is not working. I should not have to feel like I am being "eaten by a monster" because it hurts so much.
  6. pat460

pat460 New Member

Hello,

Sorry this happened to you. That's just bull!
    Maybe you should speak to your doctor to tell him/her how the front office has treated you. A lot of the time, doctors don't know their patients are being treated this way. If they lose patients, it's money out of their pockets so they usually straighten out the staff real quick. That's just been my experience though.

Good Luck, pat460
  7. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi Skyemberr,

I am in Northern VA too. I have CFS so I don't know of a rumy or a pain doctor. But there is a thread called Washington DC metro Support group, friends that has a few listed. They may be too far for you to go though.

I have a doctors office in Ashburn that I go to. So far I have seen a few doctors there. A couple were really nice one was ok and one was really bad. I am still trying to figure out which doctor there I want to be my primary. There is one doctor there that you may be interested in.

Her name is Grace Keenan and she is supposed to be good with FM and has been to FM/CFS conferences etc. I am going to try and get in to see her myself. Her waiting list last I checked was 2 months though. She is a general practitioner but may be able to help you or refer you to someone good.

She is at Nova Medical Group. Here is there website if you want to check them out http://www.novamedgroup.com/.

Looks like they do offer some good things there. I am still new to the Ashburn area so I haven't been to their office but a few times. Not sure if this is too far for you to go or not.

I know we are in a good area for good doctors but like you said it is hard trying to get out and doctor hop with being sick and all.

I hope you find someone to help you.

Good Luck and Take Care,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2007]
  8. Shalala

Shalala New Member

They are doing less and less and screwing up more and more. My DR even asked ME if I should see a Neuro or Rheumy ... and I said well maybe we should start with the BRAIN GUY to make sure I don't have a tumor or something. I wanted soooooooo badly to say Duhhhhhhh ... but held it in. She said ... this is true. HAHAHA I had just started a thread about them screwing up my STD.

ps ... they don't care. It is not their problem ;-) We are just a co-pay to them.
  9. Shalala

Shalala New Member

My DR did not screw up ... her messenger did. I finally got a call from my HR rep and she says the DR has me out until March 12th NOT the 2nd. WHEW. So her nurse messed up.
  10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I second the fact that the receptionist just didn't want to bother with pulling the chart and going through the steps it takes to have your Dr change the med.

I work in a Dr's office and have been in the medical field for 27 years. I know the steps.....I would suggest that you write your Dr a letter putting the word confidential on the front so it is opened only by your Doc. He/She needs to know what happened. For one thing a receptionist should not even be handling any of that it is the job of a nurse or MA to do that, in fact in many states it is against the law.

Hugs,
    Karen
  11. hermione1355

hermione1355 New Member

Doctors should want what is best for you. The insurance shouldn't have a problem with it but if they do contest it. She is just being difficult.
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

I have to switch occasionally too. My doctor never bats an eye. He works with me not against me. It may be more trouble, but that's not supposed to be your problem. Line of bull- yes. I would say so.

Kriket