Is my ZMA the miscreant, reprobate variety?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

I think I must have bought a mutant strain of ZMA. I've tried it five times now, and each time I slept badly, waking after three hours and not sleeping soundly after that.

Last night was the worst. I went to bed at 11:00, and woke at 2:00, 3:10, 3:45, 4:25, etc. Obviously, ZMA and I are not meant for each other.

But I wonder what this means? I've read so many glowing testimonials about ZMA on this board, and those success stories are borne out by the articles I've read elsewhere. Has anyone else had a bad experience with ZMA?

Perhaps <b>I</b> am the mutant??

Suze
  2. Suze

Suze New Member

I think I must have bought a mutant strain of ZMA. I've tried it five times now, and each time I slept badly, waking after three hours and not sleeping soundly after that.

Last night was the worst. I went to bed at 11:00, and woke at 2:00, 3:10, 3:45, 4:25, etc. Obviously, ZMA and I are not meant for each other.

But I wonder what this means? I've read so many glowing testimonials about ZMA on this board, and those success stories are borne out by the articles I've read elsewhere. Has anyone else had a bad experience with ZMA?

Perhaps <b>I</b> am the mutant??

Suze
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Looking at your pattern of awakenings, I'd say you have to pee a lot, just like me! I still wake up often with ZMA. The difference is that I can go right back to sleep most of the time, unless I get one of those adrenelin rush things going, in which case I can't get back to sleep for at least 2 hrs. ZMA has made it easier for me to fall asleep earlier and has made me sleep much deeper for the first 4 hrs. or so, but then the rest of the night is spent in the usual pattern of light sleep and frequent awakenings. Also, I still have to take Xanax and Benadryl along with it. It has helped a lot, but is not a miracle by itself for me. Are you taking anything else with it? Are you eating protein late in the evening? Drinking caffinated beverages after dinner? Maybe it is just not the right thing for you...we really are all different.
    Klutzo
  4. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

I am on my 3rd week of taking ZMA. I am taking 2 tablets. I have always had problems falling asleep not staying asleep. I do get up about 3 times in the night to go to the bathroom, but always go back to sleep straight away. I have also been taking Zolpidem 1 tablet (5mg) for the last 4 weeks.
    Now I am finding that I can fall asleep easily, 45 minutes after taking Zolpidem, but I do keep waking up too much and dont fall back to sleep as quickly as I could before. So I dont know whether the waking up at night is caused by ZMA. I am going to keep trying the ZMA for another few weeks, before I give up on it, because I have read so many good things about it. Besides, it does have magnesium in it, and I have severe magnesium deficiency.
    How long have you been taking yours. They say it takes a while for it to work. Good luck.

Satin
  5. Suze

Suze New Member

The thing I didn't mention is that I didn't have a sleep problem before taking the ZMA. I actually bought it for my daughter, who has trouble falling asleep. So do I, but only occasionally. I don't take any meds, and I never consume caffeine.

I kept ten of her capsules for myself because I was so intrigued with the positive experiences on this board. Maybe the key is that if it ain't broke, you shouldn't try to fix it!

Suze

6. loonie

loonie New Member

Hi, Suze:

I took a recommended variety of ZMA for a month and it did nothing for my sleep problem, plus made my feet and ankles swell. So, you are not the only one with problems over ZMA.

When I decided to try it, I had high hopes because it had helped so many, but alas, whatever is causing my sleep problem is not helped by ZMA. But I still listen to everyone's suggestions and weigh whether I would like to try them. I just realize not everything works the same in every body.

I am now taking magnesium glycinate and malic acid on the advice of my PAC who has FM+CFS.
    Apparently the magnesium aspartate is not a good form for everyone, but I still have not had any sleep relief. I will keep trying-maybe this form is good but takes a while.

Gotta run, Loonie (oh, and run is just a saying-there's no run in this fat old lady!!!)

7. catlady51

catlady51 New Member

I'm new to this board (since yeserday,) and at the risk of sounding a complete idiot - what is ZMA and what's it supposed to do for FM folks? I have been taking a high dosage of Neurontin which doesn't do much for the pain (does help tingling and burning) and really helps me sleep! However, I don't think I can afford it much longer (its very expensive) - hence my interest on this subject. Would appreciate any info you care to give.
    Thanks, in advance
    Lyn (CatLady)
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Please go to the front page of the Message Board and up on top where it says "search messages", type in ZMA and all sorts of stuff should come up! You can do that for other subjects also.
    Briefly, ZMA is zinc monomethionine and magnesium aspartate and vitamin B6 in an exact formula. Originally developed to give energy to atheletes, it's sleep effects have helped many of us, including myself. It is a natural product and safe to try, but deviations from the original formula have not worked as well for people. The ProHealth store on this site carries the corrrect formula and it is not an expensive thing to try.
    For more opinion, try searching the previous posts on ZMA, which are numerous.
    Klutzo
  9. thereseuk

thereseuk New Member

I also tried ZMA as I,m desperate for proper sleep but like sue I was wide awake all night. Infact I was thinking of trying it during the day to see if it has the same effect.
    sue....does it have a good effect during the day.
    I,m also interested in calcium supplementation at night to see if would help.
    It sems we are all the same but different.
    love therese

[ advertisement ]