Is norton Anti virus a must on computers?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rene, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

I never had a computer only webtv but that broke and I have a laptop. I pay like $5 a month for norton anti virus. Is it necessary?
    Thanks for you input.
  2. caffey

caffey New Member

I used it for a year and didn't like it. I use what is with Windows xp and also use aol anti-virus by Kaspersky. It is a free download and have not had any problems at all. It can be set so it automatically scans and whatever. It also has updates that are automatically installed. Another thing about Norton if you ever want to remove it is a beggar and it conflicts with other programs. I am sure you will get lots of opinions. If there is a way of saving money I am for it. All the best.
  3. Rene

Rene New Member

HI thanks, I agree saving money is a must. I don't use windows only the internet. Don't know if I need it or not.
  4. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi Rene,

I too use the AVG free anti-virus program with great results. Very easy to set it up. I have it set to scan all incoming emails as well as downloads of information and it updates automatically every day. We've used it for about 4 years and yet to have problems with it at all.Because of so many people of all sorts use computers today these programs are neccesary to have.

5. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

My work computer uses McAfee and seems to work Ok.
  6. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I had a very cheap and slow dial up which was serving my purposes adequately and then the Norton Anti Virus updates completely ruined my email program. It was a total nightmare.

I spent several months with tech people that were not from the US and I could not understand them. It was just a problem that was NOT going to go away.

I finally ended up biting the bullet and going with cable internet and with that ditched Norton and went with McAffe and I am very happy with them. They do automatic updates and you can still continue doing what you want on the computer.

I have mine programed to do a daily scan at 3am every night and it works beautifully.

So was it the Norton program itself or just the dial up incompatibility with any anti virus programs Not sure.

If you are on the internet at all you need to have some type of anti virus. I am a teacher and have a laptop computer for school. This was quite a few years ago when our district was just getting into massive computers for the teachers. I got a virus on my laptop and could not get it off. It changed files and renamed them and it was a mess.

So, please get something to protect yourself. Good luck.

7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I use McAfee too. Got a new computer and its the first time I've actually paid for an anti virus - £44 for the year, around $80.

My son downloads free anti virus for his computer and has had no problems but I had a lot of probs before so decided to pay and be sure.

8. Rene

Rene New Member

Well thanks. As of today I don't have any anti virus. I will try to down load one tomorrow. I don't know really what a computer virus is.

Thanks for taking the time and helping me out everyone.

9. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm with the AVG also and it's Free and Very Good! it scans Daily! You can download it for Free also,,,,,Goodluck
  10. LindaH

LindaH New Member

My son works for the University of Pheonix on one of their campuses. He is in charge of all their computer systems. He does all the work and the setup for each computer. I guess all that was just to say he is a computer nerd. A vry cute one though. He really likes the AVG anti virus. Put it on my daughter's and mine.

I trust him. He fixes whatever may go wrong. I just can't figure out how he is so smart and I can't remember what to call things in the kitchen sometimes. lol

11. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

My hubby is also a techy, it is his job to work with internet, phone and cable (if it has wires(or working parts for that matter) he can probably diagnose or fix the trouble). He relies in AVG also. We once had Norton (business class) protection on our home PC, but it was awful!
    It really is a good idea to use anitvirus protection on your PC, it can avoid sooo may hours of downloading patches or fixes.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Comcast provides McAfee with it's cable service. I have Norton on my laptop. I've had excellent results with both. Can't complain. If a cute techie nerd uses a free download, I may consider it for the laptop. I get tired of paying for it every year.

I do suggest some kind of viral protection. There are so many viruses out there that my computers update every day just to keep ahead of them. Also, I like it that it scans my computer. Last scan, it deleted 17 things it didn't like.

Love, Mikie