Is Olive Leaf effective against lyme?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by suz9601, Jul 18, 2006.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Trying natural treatments now as I cant tolerate the high dose abx..Is OLE effective against lyme? Anyone know? Thanks
  2. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

I don't know if olive leaf extract is effective in the sense of killing the Bb spirochetes (I don't think so), though it does definitely have its place with lyme. It is a good detox agent and very good immune booster based on the reading I've done -- I believe it does have some antibacterial and also anti-viral properties, if I am remembering correctly.

Have you read the book Healing Lyme by Stephen Buhner? It describes an herbal protocol for lyme that many people swear by -- I use a lot of the herbs in it myself (in addition to the abx I take)

When you say you can't tolerate the abx -- what happens when you take them?
  3. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Thanks for replying. I have not read the book, but will get it. I get a lot of diarrhea and upset stomach when I take abx..probiotics make it worse instead of better, so I am looking for other ways to treat. I will check out the book, do you use abx or only natural methods?

Take care,
    suz
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I tried OLE some years ago, apparently I am allergic to it, as it caused increasing itching the longer I took it. When I got to the point of awakening myself throughout the night from scratching in my sleep, I quit. I don't think it was a herx, altho IMHO I think sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between a herx and 'adverse/allergic' reaction.

Also look into the Salt/C protocol for lyme... my son is using abx plus that... he is finding he is herxing to the protocol without abx as well. My husband is also trying it alone (he won't get tested) and finding he is seemingly getting a herx.

My 18 yo son (who was positive even according to CDC standards) is basically taking a 'break' from abx right now, only taking them one week out of the month for the next 3 months to keep the lyme and whatever else 'at bay', thus letting his immune system rest...

but he is going to continue the Salt/C, the clinic had no problem with him continuing it or using along with the abx. I am looking into the possibilily adding some of the herbs as well.

Also look into the Marshall Protocol. I have not been tested myself for lyme etc, but have had herxes with the MP and had no adverse problems with it, altho some people do of course (seems to be true of any protocol). I have had some definite gains from it. They are following a population of people who have been dx'd with Lyme that are getting better after abx were not of help. They are also following a population of people with CFIDS that are getting better, & there are people who used to be on the CF/FM board here who have been doing the MP and gettting better also.

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 07/21/2006]