is paxil dangerous

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kinkypinky23, May 10, 2003.

1. kinkypinky23

kinkypinky23 New Member

I am currently taking paxil for panic disorder and depression and i wondered whether it was a dangerous drug.

I have heard so many bad reports

Is anyone taking paxil? and is it addictive?
  2. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

go to google type in paxil and get ready to be horrified.
    I've been on it for 10 years. I'm doomed to taking it for a very long time. I have panic disorder too. I'd rather be dead than go back to having attacks.
    YES it is adiictive. They lied like rugs when they put this drug out, saying it wasn't addictive but beleive me it is! If you can stop taking it and switch to Klonopin, I'd recommend doing that.
    I'm terrified about what this dreadful drug is going to do to my brain. But I simply cannot go off it. Good luck to you. N
  3. Bacci

Bacci New Member

Hey there!
    I always respond to messages about Paxil and other SSRI's. Anyone who reads my notes already knows what I will say but it bears repeating. I have been taking it for about six years and am tapering off over a month and a half. It has helped with depression and anxiety but I have noticed that it had started to wear off on affecting the anxiety/panic portion. Then I read this book called Prozac Backlash by Joseph Glenmullen. It warns about all the potential dangers of long term use of SSRI's. It is enlightening, frightening and not really surprising in my opinion. It gave me the impetus to go off paxil and really try to find some alternatives. I have talked to my MD about it and he suggested SAM-e. It is expensive initially then you decrease the dosage and it becomes more reasonable after the first month. It is the best option for me, though. I am already taking so many meds and even though I hate the depression etc I really just want to minimize the long term effects of these drugs. I would suggest doing a little book research--try the library for free books, it's where i got the prozac book--before deciding on your next course of action.

I hope you (and I) find something that works for us without creating other problems down the road!

Good luck,
    Bacci
  4. Rosie

Rosie New Member

Hi,
    Some people really have a problem coming off of paxil. There can be sever withdrawls,that can last for months. I speak from experience. My husband has just weaned himself off of it(with a doctors care) and it took 6 months. There is a lot of opinion that Paxil is addictive in that when you try to go off of it, even slowly that you have withdrawls...My husband took xanax when it was really bad. Some people are never able to get off of it, because they can't tolerate the withdrawls and that is scary. I was also on Paxil for several years, I went off of it and had no problems at all.
    So, I think that it just depends on the person. I don't feel that Paxil is a bad antidepressant and does help with anxiety. It really helped me for several years...
    I would hate to go through what my husband went through though..He was on Paxil for 8 years.
    Take care,
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2003]
  5. scottabir

scottabir New Member

I hate Paxil! The first 2 weeks on it I was more depressed than I had ever been before. Than finally it started to work but two weeks after that it stopped working. I took myself off it. I did not have as bad of withdrawls as many people thankfully.

Abi
  6. memaw

memaw New Member

What are the withdrawal symptoms? I take Paxil and have done fine with it but now you are giving me second thoughts.