Is permanent remission possible?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by linney, Oct 15, 2006.

1. linney

linney New Member

Hello all,
    I've recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and what I've read so far really scares me. I wonder what the chances are of recovery or permanent remission are? Does anybody know the answer to this?
    Regards, Linney
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I was really hoping that someone else would answer this for you (besides me)

I honestly don't believe I will ever be in a 'permanent remission'.

I do know that there can be very long remissions, before this flare started in July of 2004 (bedridden/housebound/had to stop driving for awhile/got handicapped sticker).....I had 4 good years in between my first horrid flare of 9 months. (Really good years)

Prior to that I had had years of shorter flares of a few days to a week.

And believe it or not, I'm a really positive type of person. But I know that at least for me, a remission is just a period of time before my next flare.

Now...can we do anything to push off the next flare? Absolutely!!! We can eat better foods for our bodies, eliminate crappy processed foods filled with chemicals. Stop smoking if you do...and rest, rest and rest.

We have to find ways to eliminate stress from our lives or better ways of dealing with the stress that we do have.

We can take supplements to help our bodies...I tend to think our bodies no longer work like other people's do and need some special help. (I know they've helped me quite a bit lately and I credit them for getting me back on my feet).

The Pro Health store sells some wonderful supplements.

Aspartame is a disputed poison so I have eliminated all products containing it from my diet too.

You can learn so much about this DD on this board, I know I have.

Don't be scared seeing people (like me) who may be much sicker than you are. Many of us are scared at first too, but this board provides so many people who completely understand what you're going through.

And no question is off limits around here. Any strange symptom you can think of, someone here has experience with it.

There's a post by one of our favorites around here (Stormyskye) on her remission. You can do a search for it. Also she's done some amazing work around here with research so you may just want to do a search with her name/title and content too.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Guaifenesin Protocol I've been on for about 5 1/2 years has reversed the symptoms of FMS. It has done the same for many others. You can do a web search on the Guai treatment and can search here for our old posts on it. If you want to read about it, you can get the book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia," by Dr. St. Amand. It's a very good book on FMS whether or not you decide to do the treatment.

There's a lot more to the treatment than just taking the Guai and it does require patience and commitment. In my case, it was well worth it.

I also have CFIDS so I am not out of the woods yet but not having to worry about FMS is making my treatment of CFIDS a lot easier.

Love, Mikie
  4. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

that God works miracles, even if He does not work one on me. Every day I check to see if it's happened yet...

In the meantime, I try as many things as I can afford to try in order to relieve my symptoms. Don't go out spending loads of money on a bunch of 'cures'; just try one or two things at a time. Thru trial and error you will find out what is best for you. And as Nancy B says "rest, rest, rest".

When you first get diagnosed, you go through a lot of mixed
    emotions so please stay in touch with us. This board will help you cope with the changes you must go through.

You're gonna make; it will be tough sometimes, but you're going to make it thru this - you'll see....