Is plain yogurt okay for IBS symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

My FM is kicking into high gear this week. I used to have chronic diarrhea when I was first diagnosed with FM years ago, along with chronic abdominal pains. I still get these, but it usually shows up around 2 or 3 times a year only, and stays with me for a few days to a week.

I am just wondering if I'm overdoing things. I started an exercise program where I cycle on a bike for 30 minutes a day, I started doing more than that and have an more stress at my job.

Also, a few other stressful situations have arose as well. I'm wondering if that has kicked up the IBS symptoms. I was home from work for two days because I had vacation anyway, just figures the diarrhea, abdominal pains and nausea started a few days before my vacation.

Weird thing is, I have been eating plain yogurt lately with blueberries which is so healthy for you, and am wondering if maybe for some strange reason, this has kicked up some problems with me. Unfortunately, I am one of those FM patients who is extremely sensitive to diet changes, medication changes, I believe even the exercise could have flared me up.

Sorry so long, just feeling extra anxious when I have tummy troubles on top of my FM. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

The ONLY thing that I have found to help with my IBS...Is fiber, fiber, fiber.......I eat Steel Cut oatmeal, brown rice, veggies, and fruit everyday. My IBS has all but vanished. Without the fiber, I am in the bathroom more than I am out of it.....

I also have Fibro, and I exercise 30 minutes twice a day 5 days a week. Exercise has also helped me more than anything else. Even meds never helped that much....
  3. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Have you ever been tested for Celiacs Disease??? What jumped out at me, was when you stated that you can't eat bread. Huge aggravating factor in Celiac is bread/wheat products.....
  4. sascha

sascha Member

wheat is main one. when i have flour products my gut reacts badly, so i avoid them. when i slip up, i pay the price. there are many alternatives esp in health food stores.

i am fine with yogurt. one of my mainstays that seems to soothe my digestive system- i really enjoy it- is yogurt smoothies. i usually have one daily for a meal; can be breakfast, lunch, or dinner. i put plain organic non-fat or sometimes low-fat yogurt, 3/4 C- 3/4C almond milk- half a banana- stevia for sweetening- flax seed meal- Goatein whey powder (put out by Garden of Life)- carob, for chocolate flavor- frozen blueberries and frozen strawberries- and i add water to thin it out- then blend on high until it's thoroughly mixed. it's my mainstay.

also digestive enzymes, powerful probiotics, and omegas (3, 6, 9) seem critically important for me.

experiment and try to figure out what worsens symptoms for you; what seems to agree, and there may be a lag time between eating something and dire after-effects. good luck! Sascha