IS PLEURSY COMMON WITH FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bukswife, Dec 31, 2003.

1. bukswife

bukswife New Member

i woke up saturday morning to pain on my right side by my rib cage...i wound up going to the emergency room last night...go figure the first day in a long time my fm or cf wasnt acting up i had this pain. they dx me with pleursy...is this something else i'll have to watch...is it common with fm>>> so many questions....

thanks

diane
  2. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I'm not sure how common it is in FM, but I remember having it years ago. Wow, very painful and it took a long time to go away.
    I'm not sure if it is an infection that sets in and irritates the pleural membrane? Maybe you can tell us what they said in the ER.
    Hope it goes away quickly.
    Hugs,
    Val
  3. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

and is probably due to the mycoplasma pneumonia infection in my case. I do not have chest congestion or coughing or fever, but definitely feel sore and like I have a chest infection and the soreness radiates thru my back. I think the tissue around the sternum is infected.I feel my very worst when this symptom is present - simply weak.
    I am on doxy for mycoplasma and transfer factor for viral infections. This symptom could be present with chlymidia infection also, which also responds I believe to doxy.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I would say that it is common amongst us.

I have had it for years.

Love, Mikie
  5. tjlibby

tjlibby New Member

Hi...
    I have Fibro and Lupus..I get pleurcy about twice a year, I thought my Lupus caused it but now you have me wondering.. Are you feeling better? What did they give you, I usually am given some pain pills and sent home.. Take care.. Teri
  6. pattyjean19

pattyjean19 New Member

I don't know if it is common or not, haven't read about it being related . I had it twice (2 years in a row) after having pneumonia and bronchitis. That was about 7 years ago (made me quit smoking I'll tell you) - worst pain I ever felt. Maybe that's what started this whole thing for me? I haven't had it since, but I have a clicking in my lung/rib cage once in awhile when it is cold out and I breathe in. This seems to get less every year. Good luck, I hope it goes away quickly for you and hope it's not another symptom of this DD.
  7. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

for about one (very painful) year during my mid-twenties.

Still makes me ticked-off, when I remember how I was dismissed by the doctor I went to several times for some kind of diagnosis. I didn't exactly know how to explain the pain, but only years later, did I read a description of pleurisy and I knew that is what it was. I even had the kind that makes a weird "crunchy" noise dry pleurisy) and to think he didn't even listen for that.

Anyway, mine eventually went away and haven't had it since. I do however have chronic soreness in ribs, and occasional attacks of costochondritis.

I'd say having an FM condition definitely increases your chances of experiencing pleurisy.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/17/2005]
  8. sleepyinlalaland

for about one (very painful) year during my mid-twenties.

Still makes me ticked-off, when I remember how I was dismissed by the doctor I went to several times for some kind of diagnosis. I didn't exactly know how to explain the pain, but only years later, did I read a description of pleurisy and I knew that is what it was. I even had the kind that makes a weird "crunchy" noise dry pleurisy) and to think he didn't even listen for that.

Anyway, mine eventually went away and haven't had it since. I do however have chronic soreness in ribs, and occasional attacks of costochondritis.

I'd say having an FM condition definitely increases your chances of experiencing pleurisy.
  9. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

as a child... 4th, 5th & 6th grade. Every year in April. Haven't had it since, but it was a question my Rheumy asked me, so there must be something there.
  10. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

as a child... 4th, 5th & 6th grade. Every year in April. Haven't had it since, but it was a question my Rheumy asked me, so there must be something there.
  11. sleepyinlalaland

My current doctor seemed to make some kind of connection too. She doesn't necessarily believe or disbelieve in fibromyalgia, but she does "believe" in me. I go to her for specific symptoms but almost never mention the F-word.

So, when I mentioned once that I had had pleurisy in my past, she looked at me with a quizzical look and asked "didn't you once say you thought you had fm?" I said "yes...why?" She said..."oh, nothing" (ha)

Obviously she'd made a connection but was reluctant to speculate. She's as mystified as I and the rest of us are as to what fibromyalgia IS...so to me it's OK if she doesn't know what to say about it.
  12. sleepyinlalaland

My current doctor seemed to make some kind of connection too. She doesn't necessarily believe or disbelieve in fibromyalgia, but she does "believe" in me. I go to her for specific symptoms but almost never mention the F-word.

So, when I mentioned once that I had had pleurisy in my past, she looked at me with a quizzical look and asked "didn't you once say you thought you had fm?" I said "yes...why?" She said..."oh, nothing" (ha)

Obviously she'd made a connection but was reluctant to speculate. She's as mystified as I and the rest of us are as to what fibromyalgia IS...so to me it's OK if she doesn't know what to say about it.
  13. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I have had pleurisy, and was "tentatively" dx'ed with FM and/or CFS just 2 weeks ago. My new Dr. said it SOUNDS like Fibro., but I have to have a sleep study and hopefully some other tests to either rule out or confirm other possible illness(es). My first attack of pleurisy hit when I was 17 (just a year after the fatigue began). I am now 34, and have had a few attacks since then, but they are very rare and don't usually last long. The first attack lasted the longest, and was definately the most painful! I was curled up in a ball and crying my eyes out, which, of course, just made the pain worse since crying makes you breathe deeper! Anyway, just thought I would throw my experience in here. Looks like one more thing many of us have in common that, at first glance, we would probably never put the two together!

Hugs!
    Starr
  14. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I have had pleurisy, and was "tentatively" dx'ed with FM and/or CFS just 2 weeks ago. My new Dr. said it SOUNDS like Fibro., but I have to have a sleep study and hopefully some other tests to either rule out or confirm other possible illness(es). My first attack of pleurisy hit when I was 17 (just a year after the fatigue began). I am now 34, and have had a few attacks since then, but they are very rare and don't usually last long. The first attack lasted the longest, and was definately the most painful! I was curled up in a ball and crying my eyes out, which, of course, just made the pain worse since crying makes you breathe deeper! Anyway, just thought I would throw my experience in here. Looks like one more thing many of us have in common that, at first glance, we would probably never put the two together!

Hugs!
    Starr
  15. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

16. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

17. toadgoddess

toadgoddess New Member

I have had pleurisy several (3 or 4) times in the past three years, as well as tiezis syndrome.

blessings,
    toadgoddess
  18. toadgoddess

toadgoddess New Member

I have had pleurisy several (3 or 4) times in the past three years, as well as tiezis syndrome.

blessings,
    toadgoddess
  19. ouchiered

ouchiered New Member

First time when I was 18 & working a very physical job.

Then again during a bad flare last year. Always feel a weakness in that side of my chest now.

GG
  20. ouchiered

ouchiered New Member

First time when I was 18 & working a very physical job.

Then again during a bad flare last year. Always feel a weakness in that side of my chest now.

GG