Is progesterone an XMRV entry inhibitor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Elisa, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Elisa

Elisa Member

There is a lot of talk about hormones and XMRV. In the recent Cheney video, WPI's Dr. Mikovits stresses "hormone balance" and avoidance of excess androgens, estrogens and cortisol.

In addition, there is information that XMRV uses the progesterone receptor on the cell to gain entry. So is it possible that low progesterone levels - common in estrogen-dominant women - perpetuate the illness.

Here is a quote from Dr. Luckett's blog:

"I think progesterone actually has a protective effect, by acting as a cell entry inhibitor. XMRV competes with the membrane bound progesterone receptor, as opposed to the classic nuclear binding cytoplasmic receptor."

"Observations reveal that high rates of estrogen, or high rates of testosterone in the absence of progesterone tend to favor the growth of XMRV - progesterone inhibits the formation of DHT."

Here's the link:

Also could this be the reason why so many with this illness - go into remission when pregnant - or at least feel better/improve?

For those interested, be sure to read the comments too.

God Bless,

[This Message was Edited on 02/27/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2010]
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I have read the opposite; that progesterone exacerbates XMRV and that those of us with CFS should avoid any supplementation with progesterone. I am not willing to do that at this point in time as progesterone cream is what is keeping me sane right now. I could not function without progesterone because my estrogen levels are too high at present.

As far as CFS is concerned, raising my progesterone levels has not helped at all.

3. Juloo

Juloo Member

Do you have a link for the article you read about progesterorne exacerbating XMRV? I would like to read it.

I have been on progesterone in the past, but am not on it now. Was tested for hormone imbalance way back when, and was overloaded on the estrogens. I didn't notice a change in CFS when on progesterone, but it knocked my PMS completely out!
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I hear you on the PMS. That was the number one reason that I started on progesterone. I got to the point that I couldn't function anymore. I would have one good week right after my period, and then the next five to six weeks I was absolutely knocked off my feet tired.

I'll look for the information about XMRV. I just read it this morning; I just have to remember where!!
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

This isn't what I originally read, however, I found this on Dr. Cheney's site. >>>It is likely that progesterone activates XMRV env protein and may explain why we see women with more CFS at 4 to 1 over men and the apparent vulnerability of adolescent girls to CFS onset and the relative reduction of the point prevalence of CFS in the elderly and in children compared to the young to middle ages. I have also observed a reduction in severity of CFS symptoms in post-menopausal women though perhaps modulated by their use of HRT. The related hormones to progesterone are pregnenolone and cortisol. I have seen both devastate a handful of CFS cases.<<<

From the website, according to Dr. Mikovitz "progesterone up-regulates XMRV in lab tests".