Is Race a factor with FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Engel, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Engel

Engel New Member

I know that many diseases tend to be more common in certain races/ethnic groups. Is this true with FMS? I know it is more common in females.
    I am a caucasion female.
  2. pat460

pat460 New Member

Actually, I'm married but a girl can fantasize can't she? Some dream about the guys on House, NCIS, CSI and some dream--no wait, I do that too. That was a great movie anyway--SWF I mean!

Seriously though, I know it's mostly female and seems to be mostly caucasion but, who knows for sure. Me white woman with FMS.

Pat
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

It does seem to be more prevalent in Caucasion women but I want to add that I know people of all races who have these diseases.

Kathy
  4. jmq

jmq New Member

here...but I too, have seen woman and men of various races in my support group that also suffer with FM and CFS.

jmq
  5. Engel

Engel New Member

english, irish, scot, german
  6. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I've posted this before, so FYI.

Widespread Pain and Fibromyalgia in a Biracial Cohort of Young Women.

J Rheumatol. 2007 Feb 1; [Epub ahead of print]

Gansky SA, Plesh O.

From Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, Center for Health and Community, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA.

PMID: 17299839

OBJECTIVE: To assess the distribution of widespread pain, tenderpoints (TP), and fibromyalgia (FM) in young African American (AA) and Caucasian (C) women.

METHODS: A community population of 1334 young (21-26 yrs old) women (684 AA and 650 C) was surveyed and classified for body pain spread [chronic widespread pain (CWP), axial regional chronic pain (RCP), nonaxial RCP, or
    no pain]. Of these women, 553 were examined for TP based on American College of Rheumatology criteria.

RESULTS: Overall, 5.6% reported CWP, while 22% reported axial RCP, and 16% reported nonaxial RCP. From the CWP group, 57% were confirmed as FM cases. C women had significantly more TP and greater TP pain score than AA women (p </= 0.005). Overall FM prevalence was 2.4% (95% confidence interval: 1.7-3.5%), with 3.0% in AA and 2.0% in C women. Increase in body pain and tenderness was significantly associated with decreased subjective
    socioeconomic status (SSS), worse self-reported health, greater impact of premenstrual symptoms on activities, and greater depressive symptoms. The effect of depressive symptoms on pain differed by race.

CONCLUSION: Widespread pain and tenderness is highly prevalent in these young women. Racial differences seem to exist; C women had significantly increased tenderness while AA women had more widespread pain. The association of depressive symptoms and pain was stronger in AA women.
    Racial differences emerged relatively early in these young women.

7. swehling

swehling New Member

My nuerologist, who diagnosed me w/ FM, actually asked what my ethnic background was-When I said, "English, Scotch/Irish, German" He said "Yes, well, you fit". I was kind of surprised by that. Ick- what a cruel hand genetics can deal you.
    Susan
  8. Engel

Engel New Member

I was just curious since their roots (genetics) are in warm climates. I am thinking much of this is genetically programmed. I am considering heading to a warmer climate. The past 4 months with all of this roller coaster weather has really taken a toll on me.
  9. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I believe i read some where that China is now doing research on CFS because to many people are getting it.

So it seems world wide, and all races to me.

Maybe it's due to the decrease in Oxygen levels in our atmosphere. Women have smaller lungs than men.

Just a wild guess!