IS SOC SEC DISABILITY PERMANENT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FOYBOYFOY, Apr 8, 2011.

1. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

I AM A WORRYWART, I HAVE BEEN ON SSDI FOR 3 YEARS AFTER WORKING 28YEARS IN THE GROC BUSINESS. I HAVE BEEN DX WITH LUPUS ALONG WITH OTHER ISSUES(SEEN 18 DOCTORS) I AM 55, DO I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT MY CASE BEING REVIEWED? CAN THEY TAKE THIS AWAY? THANKS FOR YOUR TIME GOD BLESS FOY
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I believe anyone's case can be reviewed by SSDI up until age 65. However, I also believe that the older one is, the less likely it is that SSDI will be revoked.

I started receiving SSDI when I was 52. It was only this year, 7 years later at age 59, that I received a letter from SS indicating they were considering doing a review for the first time since I started receiving benefits. I filled out the very simple form they enclosed, stating that I still cannot work and have not improved in all that time, and 5 or 6 weeks later received a letter from SS that they were not going to do a review at this time.

I just found this link which has some good info:

http://ssa.gov/pubs/10068.html#how

Here's a portion:

"How often will my medical condition be reviewed?
    The frequency of reviews depends on the nature and severity of your medical condition and whether it is expected to improve.

•If improvement is expected, your first review generally will be six to 18 months after the date you became disabled.

•If improvement is possible, but cannot
    be predicted, your case will be reviewed about once every three years.

•If improvement is not expected, your case will be reviewed once every
    seven years."

So, I would guess that given your age and what sounds like a good medical record, and you haven't been reviewed so far, that you probably don't have to worry about losing your SSDI benefits.

So don't worry - it doesn't do any good and just wastes valuable energy. I had decided not to worry (though I was wondering about a review) and that I would just take things as they came and deal with whatever happened, and in the end, everything worked out fine.

Take care -

Mary
  3. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I don't know if it is remaining in the budget that passed but it was proposed that they are going to start doing more reviews then prior

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's not likely that your case will be reviewed. Also, they usually don't review people older than 50. Of course, they can do whatever they want but if I were you, I wouldn't worry. Stress is the worst thing for what ails us. I became disabled at 55 and received SSD until I aged into regular SS at age 66 with no review.

Heck, they can hardly keep up with the new cases pending; I don't think they have time for reviews unless they get called about fraud.

If you don't meditate, you might try finding some time to just relax and let your mind go to a peaceful place. It takes patience but eventually, you will find it helps with stress and worry.

Love, Mikie
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I took early retirement from my job, at age 48-1/2 after working 30 years.

I started receiving SSDI at age 50. I was awarded it on my first try, too!! I have a multitude of illnesses and I have been confined to a wheelchair for many years now.

I have been reviewed 2 times since I received it!! I just now turned 60 a couple months ago.

The first review was either 3 years or 4 after I started on SSDI.

I, too, still worry about them taking it away!! But at age 60, I hope they don't ... my husband tells me all the time to quit worrying, that if they came to my home to see me, they would never question me again!!! LOL

I am a diabetic, have systemic lupus, major heart issues, fibro, severe arthritis, major back issues, thyroid disorder, replaced joints, plus much more!!