Is sorbitol bad for us? I just saw a good deal on a grapeseed rop

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Sep 25, 2008.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

extract supplement but one of the inactive ingredients is sorbitol....not sure whether to buy? TIA Shell
  2. shelbo

shelbo New Member

It's from a really reputable co. called Source might have heard of them. They sell a supplement called Pycnogenol Complex which contains pycnogenol, grapeseed and has other things added like green tea, quercetin, milk thistle, vit c, mag etc that I thought might be good for my 'allergic-type' state. The active ingredients look good but the inactive base contains:

sorbitol, stearic acid, modified cellulose gum, colloidal silicon dioxide and magnesium stearate.

I thought sorbitol was some kind of sweetener so I googled it and it said that it could be artificially sourced or naturally sourced from fruit stones. I don't know if this company uses the naturally sourced stuff. I was unable to find anything on the net that was in support of or against ingesting this ingredient.

I just thought this supplement looked good for all the cleansing and immune-supporting ingredients but didn't want to undo the good work by taking it in a base with sorbitol if that's bad for us.

Thanks for replying. :) Shell

3. shelbo

shelbo New Member

I think you're right. It might be something I progress to...if I can find out more about sorbitol (and how the co. sources it)...

One thing that concerns me is that the GE I'm using right now says it contains 95% Leucoanthocyanins and all the websites seem to be saying that GE should provide 95% Proanthocyanins... I don't know if Leucoanthocyanins and Proanthocyanins are one and the same thing... Maybe I should make sure the next one I buy contains Proanthocyanins and not Leucoanthocyanins...

I bought this one, though, cos the base is pure; it only contains microcrystalline vegetable cellulose and water.

Thanks for all your help, Jaminhealth.

Shell :)

Ps...I meant to add that I weigh 154lbs but am trying to lose about 21 lbs through my healthier eating..

Can you remind me of the saturation dose of GE for this weight and how long you should be on the higher dose, plus what it comes down to when you are ready for the maintnenance dose. I may have to change my GE brand anyway cos it also contains 50mg of green tea to provide polyphenols but I don't know if there would be too much green tea provided at the saturation dose... (I know it contains caffeine...) Thanks again, Jaminhealth! I hope I see results like you did sinuses/ allergies are creating hell for me right now...
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2008]
  4. rachelle01

rachelle01 New Member

Sorbitol is horrible for the stomach...intestines..for most anyways. Its in most chewing gums too..makes my tummy so bloated and gassy...
  5. shelbo

shelbo New Member

with sorbitol a wide berth! You've saved me money, disappointment and probably extra symptoms! My tummy looks bloated enough! LOL
    jam...I've only been on the GE a week or so now and I seem much worse...I'm hoping it's some sort of die-off reacion/ herxheimer's! Thanks again! Shell :)
  6. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! :)

I will definitely stick with it!! :)

I would love to do an elimination diet but I'm not totally sure how to go about it.. I have recently cut milk (following this strictly) and am eating lots of fish, rye crackers, chicken, turkey, occasional red meat, lots of fruit and veg, water, fruit teas, green teas... I was thinking of a Candida diet but I don't want to cut's hard enough right now cutting chocolate! LOL

I was tested 4 or 5 years ago by a UK co. called York Testing who check your against 113+ foods. They are reputable and endorsed by Allergy UK. I tested positive for milk, hazelnuts and sunflowers seeds...and was showing signs of becoming reactive to yeast, egg whites and maize.
    The yeast thing makes me think I am going to end up going on Candida diet ultimately but the way I'm feeling right now (super awful!) I think I am best to work up to that - and although I tested ok to every single fruit & vegetable on the list, I suspect I have a real problem with cooked tomatoes....I think the deadly nightshades are next to go....I've already started trying to replace potatoes with sweet potatoes which has the added bonus of giving me another one of my 'five-a-day'! I've feel like I've already drastically overhauled my diet and think I am herxing from this and the supps I've started taking...

I've always taken flaxseed caps (super dry eyes and skin!) but recently lapsed...I've started them up again and am about to add borage for the GLA. I have started a Green drink by Barlean's, a cal/mag supp and GE. I am waiting on a vit supp with extra B vits cos I thought I'd better get a multi so I'm not out of balance! :)

I'll keep the board updated on my GE's so good of Jaminhealth to share her positive experiences with us! I think it's worth a shot with the GE just based on the many positive experiences with it on here!

I'm so glad you started taking it again and it'd helped! Thanks for being so generous with your advice! :) Shell