Is Soy Good or Bad for you????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1sweetie, Mar 4, 2006.

1. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I have been making smoothies for breakfast when I am able & instead of adding low fat milk, I started using Silk soy milk along with low fat yogurt, banana, almonds, blueberries,wheat germ, flax seed & honey. At times after drinking it, I get stomach pains. I do have irritable bowel. I just wanted to know the pros & cons if anyone knows.
  2. Defibro

Defibro New Member

where you get your soy from.

It seems that USA soy, is genetically produced, vs. Asian soy. also soy is beneficial if you have been taking it since childhood, it is not helpful for all Women, and in some cases may be counterproductive. Allergies, etc.. It is a 10 pages long article.

The name of the article is: Health benefits of soy--why the contraversy? by Dixie Mills, MD. Dixie is located in Maine.

Hope you can get to the article, and see if it can benefits you.. Best of luck.

3. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I've never had problems with any soy products. Just make sure you get NON GMO soy.

As far as what's giving you a stomach pain. It's most likely the yogurt or the banana or both. Any dairy products especially if you have irritiable bowel will likely cause you problems, and bananas, we'll I love banana's too, but I also stay away from them. They can give you a lot of gas and, as a result, stomach pains.

If you want to make a thicker smoothee without using the banana, what I do is add a couple of tablespoons hemp seed flour. It's also a very rich source of protein and good oils including GLA.
  4. jaltair

jaltair New Member

From all that I've read about the pros and cons, I'd say that non-GMO, organic soybeans, aren't harmful. The studies about harmful effects are not well-founded. There is no more breast CA in the Asian population and no more thyroid dysfunction. The actual pros outweigh the cons. Besides, the con studies are very well-funded by the dairy lobby, believe me!

If you aren't allergic, then go ahead and enjoy! I do.
  5. mariee

mariee Member

Some people are allergic to peanuts.
    I am allergic to soy.
    Causes me stomach upset and post nasal drip.
    Try your smoothie w.out soy and see how you feel.
    That is how I found out I am allergic to it.
    If that doesn't help, then something else may be causing you discomfort. My daughter can eat soy...
    I also can't tolerate large doses of flax seed.

So, take out the soy. See how you do. Then if you are better, enjoy your smoothie w. yogurt. That's how I make mine.

Take Care.
    Mariee
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

along lines I suggested to her, trying to figure out if autism is lnked to feeding babies soy milk as the rise in autism came along with the new use of soy milk formula.

Just a thought.

Love Anne C
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

...products make hypothyoid symptoms worse.

Thanks,

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 03/05/2006]
  8. mariee

mariee Member

Stormskye,

That's interesting. I was thinking about this thread and wanted to mention rice milk. By itself, rather bland, but the nice thing is used in smoothies, it doesn't compete w. other tastes. Some rice does come w. vanilla....
    Consistency is like skim milk.
    My daughter is lactose intolerant, and alternates between soy and rice milk. Her hubby is fr. Hong Kong so soy is a staple. She shops Asian markets, so I am not sure of the brand. She is careful w. additives.
    Sidenote, her hubby is a culinary cook! Smart daughter of mine.
    Mariee

9. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I can understand why Soy Protein Isolate (SPI) is not good for you. It's highly processed and contains aluminum, a known toxin. I've been using non-gmo, unsweetened soy milk and unprocessed non-gmo tofu for years and I don't see any evidence of the claimed Zinc deficiencies that should show up. I run my own hair mineral analysis and my zinc levels are one of my best mineral levels that I have! Of course, as with anything else, moderation is the key.

I'm very skeptical when I see these studies, that are commissioned by both sides, the Soy and the Beef industries or someone who's selling another book. I remember reading a book once, someone saying that taking vitamins/minerals was bad for you, and they had all the logical arguments about why it was bad and it really made sense, but in the real world it just doesn't work...I think the best way is to find out for yourself what works for you - study your own body. There's so much conflicting info out there, it's hard sometimes to know what the truth is.

10. cats3

cats3 New Member

I am allergic to cows milk so I drink rice milk also soy milk.

I like Whole Foods brand rice milk - vanilla flavor
    can't think what the brand name is right now something like 365?

Soy milk I drink Silk soy vanilla, very vanilla and sometimes chocolate.

Flax seed -- I tried that once and it flared up my IBS real bad!

[This Message was Edited on 03/05/2006]
  11. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

said soy has a high content of glutamate in it, which they said is an excitotoxin to the brain. it also said that many are allergic or sensitive to soy, and that soy is a natural estrogen, which is bad for the body. Jen102
  12. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

A great big thank you to each of you for all the information. I had changed from low fat milk to the soy milk because I had read (and I can't remember where or the details) that it may help with the side effects of menopause and the packaging on the Very Vanilla Soy Milk(made with Organic Soybeans) caught my attention. I am trying to improve my diet. It's so hard for me because I rarely have the energy to eat let alone cook. I was trying to pack a lot into this morning (mid-day)meal. I have had 2 bouts with breast cancer(hormone related) and probably should not use the soy. I have a real problem with heat intolerance. It is more than menopause. The temperature in my house stays in the low sixties and I am comfortable with that if I wear loose cotton clothes but I guess that should go in another thread. I will try the rice milk. On one of my rare trips to the grocery store, I saw it Friday. I actually had it in the basket & put it back after I remembered I still had a couple of quarts of the soy at home. We did find & buy organic low fat milk. I will try this tomorrow. After I get the sweet whey protein, I'm going to try Stormy's shake.

Thanks again for all the information & I will check on the sites you provided.