Is Splenda in the same catagory as Equal Sweet and Low?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cj368, Jan 15, 2007.

1. cj368

cj368 New Member

I've been avoiding aspartame more lately, since reading that many of you find it irritates the fibro. However, I am also trying to lose weight so I am also avoiding sugar. What about Splenda?

Thanks!
  2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

I was told that was a GOOD alternative... maybe derived from sugar.. cannot think right now.
    Lets see what the rest have to say....
    Hugs
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

Yes, stevia is the best. It is also the best tasting. All the others, even Splenda, are just patentable chemicals designed to make money.

Splenda's manufacturers say it's made from sugar but the Sugar Association is suing them, disputing that fact.

Some say it's similar to sugar and others say it's similar to pesticides. It was "discovered" by scientists in Britain in 1976 who were looking for a new pesticide.

Stevia is natural, so it gets no advertising. Only chemicals can really be mass marketed and sold at big profits by companies that already advertise heavily. I bought a nine dollar little dropper bottle of stevia about 16 months ago and I still have most of it left. You only need one drop for the equivalent sweetness of a teaspoon of sugar.

best wishes,

karen
  4. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Hi cj368...

In answer to your question, YES, Splenda is absolutely in the same category as equal and sweet n low.

Right now, in the United States, five artificially derived sugar substitutes have been approved for use. They are saccharin, aspartame, sucralose, neotame and acesulfame potassium.

They are all sugars that are chemically altered to have less caloric value while at the same time trying to duplicate the sweetness of natural sugar. I think that because artifical sweeteners have been chemically altered, that may be why they cause our FMS to flare or for someone like me, I cannot tolerate them because I almost immediately suffer from debilitating migraines.

Also, studies have shown that high levels of certain artificial sweeteners have caused all types of cancers in lab rats. The argument that many A.S. (I'll abbreviate ok? hehe) companies argue against those studies is that the rats were fed with unnaturally high levels of the ASes. They argue that no human could possibly consume so much in their lifetime.

It should make people pause though because at WHATEVER levels, this crap caused cancer in a living thing.

I also understand your dilemma though because right now I'm also trying to lose weight and have just started Weight Watchers. I would save myself a LOT of points if I could use Splenda or Equal!!! :O)

Karen is on it when she suggest Stevia though. I really want to buy it also, but it was banned in the US in the 1990s...dunno why...I know you can buy it as a supplement, but not an additive. From what I'm read about it, it seems really neat. I wonder why it is illegal here. It's also called sweetleaf, sweet leaf or sugarleaf-meaning that it is actually ALL NATURAL derived from plants!!

Exciting and promising in my eyes. There has been a lot of buzz about this because a lot of docs are excited, saying that this may be the new, safe thing to help cure diabtetes and obesity. The only thing is supposedly you only need a teeny bit in comparison to sugar as it is 300 times as sweet as sugar!!!!

Karen, where do you buy it and have you heard anything about why it was banned?? I'd like to learn more about it.

Anyways, take care and I hope to helped.

K

[This Message was Edited on 01/15/2007]
  5. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I buy stevia at my local Kroger. They have both the liquid and powder form.
  6. cj368

cj368 New Member

That info really helps. I'll be getting rid of the Splenda.

7. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I believe that Stevia has a website.. and I got 3 or 4 samples at a natural health food store. I have also seen it at our Super Walmart store..
    I have heard alot of people like the stevia better also..