Is Stevia sweetener dangerous?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, May 15, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Okay my mother just informed me that she saw a commercial warning about Stevia being harmful and can cause cancer and all sorts of possible health issues.

The articles that I have found date back a few years so I am not sure about now.

Please tell me more about this sweetener as I have started to use it in my teas and if this a dangerous product, I am going to have to toss it out. I know it is from a natural herb, but there does not seem to be much information about what it does, and all I see is that it can possible harm you in the long run.

I know Splenda, Sweet n' Low, and Equal aren't good.

So then what is a good substitute for sugar?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/15/2006]
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

it's a nutritional herb. But I'm sure the folks who make money off of sugar and fake sugar would love for you to think it is.

for coffee or tea, it saves your body lots of unnecessary sugar to just take it w/ milk. I weaned myself off, but I got used to it, and now can't stand sugar in it. for other things, brown sugar is much less refined and still has the mineral rich molasses, and honey is a nutritious sweet food too w/ immune enhancers. Those are inexpensive and tried and true sweeteners.

Jeanne
  3. Greeneyes2

Greeneyes2 New Member

I use Stevia in my hot drinks and have started to experiment with using it in other things.

A little bit goes a long way and it does not cause me problems with my blood sugar.

It is completely safe and natural.

I would be interested in where your Mom saw this and who was sponsoring the commercial.

Thanks,
    Denise
    [This Message was Edited on 05/15/2006]
  4. kalina

kalina New Member

Just a guess, but I bet the sugar substitute industry is chomping at the bit to get a harmless sweetener like stevia off the market. Sounds like a smear campaign.

Kalina
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

is great! Besides being a sweetener safe for diabetics, it doesn't have a funny taste at all. It is actually good for your teeth and your heart. It is fairly expensive, but I think it's worth it for better health and fewer cavities.