Is Summer worse for anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roseants, Jul 25, 2008.

1. roseants

roseants New Member

Summer seems to be so much worse than the rest of the year for me! Is it for anyone else?

I just seem to hurt so much more.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2008]
  2. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

i actually think summer is better for me, the sun feels great on me, i feel so much worse in the winter
  3. smokiebones

smokiebones New Member

Winter seems to be the absolute worst for me as far as hurting goes. With that said my opinion is that in the summer I think we all try to get out and do more.

All week I have felt pretty good but last night I pulled some weeds and water'ed my flowers so today I hurt from head to toe and I am exhausted!
  4. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

Hi roseants, I feel bad when it's cold and damp but when it's really hot and humid I feel AWFUL. It's not just the pain but temps over 90 degrees drain what little energy I have completely away.

Then like someone else mentioned, the thunderstorms. Here in TN we get "pop-up" showers a lot in the afternoons and the barometric pressure can drop very suddenly and that make me hurt all over.

I'm guessing whether summer is bad for most people at least partly depends on where in the country you live, and how sensitive you are to the heat.

regards and stay cool ;-)
  5. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

What with the high baromatric pressure, the storm fronts, the humidty, most summers I rarely set foot outdoors.
    I have learned though, that exteme temps, whether it be boiling hot or freezing cold, send me straight into a flare.

How I miss the "prep" seasons, the springs and the falls that we us to have. Now we go straight from freezing to boiling. So mostly, I am indoors, at the mercy of my controlled temperatures. I refuse to even try to be a "hero" anymore. It just makes me sicker.
  6. joyfulprayz

joyfulprayz New Member

I can barely move during the summer, which is really bad when everyone else is going and doing! :-(
  7. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Summer is much better for me. Beside FM I also have psoriatic arthritis and the sun and warmth is healing for me.

I dread winter, that is when I go in depression because I know I will be in so much more pain.
  8. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

Roseants, where do you live? I am in MO so I have increased problems if:
    it rains
    it's humid
    it snows
    it gets cold
    (hence the plan to move to a place where there is dry heat!)
  9. znewby

znewby Member

my daughter is much much better in the summer. She has a tough time in the Canadian winters. Think the low pressure causes inflammation in a particular area of the brain.
  10. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

I agree with you about winter and summer.

Winter is cold and damp and it is horrible. Summer is hot and humid and it is way beyond horrible. I live in Michigan and the summers here can be 89 degrees with 75% + humidity . Going in and out of air conditioning just makes it worse. Lately , when I go to get groceries with my daughter , I come back and sleep 3 hours.

Come to think of it any extreme is bad . Too cold ,too hot , too rainy , too humid. to anything. I am so grateful for heating and air conditioners . I know some may not have air. I used to have only fans and I just lay on the bed with the fan blowing over me . That's all I could do all day.

11. jmq

jmq New Member

Summer is hell on me. I live in Florida and can barely function with the heat and humidity...even in air conditioning.

12. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Winter is much worse for my body - but it's much worse for my mood as well. The only thing I really like about winter are the holidays, cooking and eating "winter" food and a nap in front of the fireplace. The cold seems to go right to my bones. My shoulders go up to my head, making my neck stiff, muscles spasm and I just shiver - like when you first get in the car - oh I do not like that at all!

I think extreme heat is hard for anyone. It can be oppressive and can feel like a weight on your body. Add humidity and can be pretty darn unpleasant. Thankfully I live where it's dry.

Too hot, too cold, too damp, too rainy, "too" anything is too hard!
  13. k5334

k5334 New Member

Summer is by far the worst time of the year for me. I have trouble breathing in the humidity and the heat drains all of my energy. I have to rearrange my whole life. I have to do all my errands in the early morning because I just can't go out in the heat. I'm also allergic to all the bugs that come out in the summer so I can't go out in the evening because of the heat and bugs and everything. I love the winter. I handle the cold so much better!
  14. roseants

roseants New Member

It's good to know I'm not alone. I live in Central Texas(north east of Austin). It's hot and humid, but it's not as bad as other places I have lived. I did two summers in Arizona and that was really bad. Too dry and too hot! I also lived in south west Florida, still really bad. Too humid!. CEntral Texas is a happy medium, no extreme cold, no snow in winter. The winters here are great! I felt pretty good all winter. This summer is killing me! It had not really rained in over a month, but it's still humid. I really hate to sweat, and I fell hot and sticky all the time. I went into a flare in early June and it's just not letting up! My fibro has not been too bad,in the past few years, but this flare is as bad as it has ever been. I finally found someone to treat me, but my insurance won't cover it untill November and the office visits are $300! ARGHH! SO frustrating!

SO good to know I'm not the only one! There are so many days this community just about saves me from going bonkers!
    Thank you all!!!!!
  15. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Summer is hard for me living in the middle of Texas. Yesterday the high was 104!

I stepped outside for maybe 3-5 minutes and when I came back in the house my energy level was at a 0 and I felt worse than awful. Today my pain level is high!

Take care, Susan