Is tap water safe for us sick people????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz9601, May 18, 2006.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Just wondered if with our weakened immune systems if we should be drinking bottled water or something. I drink only water and most of it is tap. I have a pur carbon filter pitcher but I think it only removes a few of the problems. I am thinking of going to bottled water,anyone have an opinion on this? thanks
    [This Message was Edited on 05/18/2006]
  2. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

Our tape water here in the city I live in taste like dead fish. The City tells us not to panic that it is just the lakes turning over in the hot weather and it stirs up the bottom of the lake. I will not drink that water, I have bottled water and a water machine. The tape water actually stinks when it comes out so I wouldn't be able to swollow it even if I had to.

TxSongBird
  3. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

Should have said tap water, not tape water.

TxSongBird
  4. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

I only drink bottled water, unless it's water I'm going to boil for tea or cooking. I just don't trust tap water and don't like the taste. I'm sure someone will post about the contaminates in tap water. I have heard that meds people flush down the toilet cannot be completely removed from the water even after it's been treated. I haven't been able to verify if that is fact or speculation.
  5. mariee

mariee Member

But my sis informed me that water in plastic bottles may not be safe. Plastics let off some sort of gas that can get into water.
    She has installed some sort of filtration system (reverse osmosis) and keeps her water in glass container in refrigerator.
    Something I am investigating now.
    It never ends.
    Mariee
  6. jess

jess New Member

Hi,I only drink bottled water or filtered water. All tap water has chlorine to kill off bacteria. Chlorine itself produces more by- products which are not good. I can't remember what they are called at the moment. (brain fog) Also, most states, not all though,put floride in their water. You could always call the local water facility to find this out. Anyhow, floride is really a poison and is a by product of aluminum production. That's another story about floride. Unfortunately, floride is very difficult to filter out of water which is why I only drink bottled. It costs more but it is worth it. Drinking from glass bottles is always better because plastic can leach into the water. I also drink from plastic though because glass bottled water is more expensive. Just remembered the chlorine by products are called Tri-Halimethanes. Jess
  7. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

but I will not drink tap water that smells like rotting fish in the summer.

TxSongBird
  8. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I'm worried about the plastic with water bottles too. I heard things leach too. GOt that from a preeminent hospital.

I love how a lot of bottled water comes from cities' water supplies. I looked at Aquafina from the web site above, City of Houston Municipal Drinking Water - no better than tap water! Other brands get their water from the same place.

Two water filtration places in our city just got shut down from having human viruses! Plus everything is getting flushed for having too much molybedium, the water was black!

I started bottled water when I got cryptosporidium (lived in Milwaukee). Not fun!

Also check out how your water is delivered to your home. Some pipes can leech tons of metals into your water.[This Message was Edited on 05/18/2006]
  9. place

place New Member

when I stoped drinking tap water. I only drink disani. I think I am sensitive to the chemicals. If I have to much of something I tend to start reacting to it negativley.
  10. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Yeah, I too worry about the plastic bottles. I used to get hinckley springs water, but it was too expensive cause I drink a lot all day long. I wonder what the best bottled water is? Is one brand better than the others as far as the method of filtration? Thanks for the replies so far.
  11. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

My dad was in the water business for a number of years, so I picked up a few things as a fly on the wall.

Tap water has: other people's medication, chlorine, flouride, metals, and sometimes organisms if the city's water purification system isn't working properly. In Cranbrook, B.C., where we lived, it was heavily contaminated with arsenic from a neighboring mining community. In Kelowna, B.C., the next place we lived, tap water was drawn from the same lake into which the city's semi-treated feces was pumped. And really, all the chlorine in the world can't make me feel better about that.

Bottled water has: chemicals leached out from the plastic container. Also minerals that are in a form that the body can't absorb, but which accumulate in joints. Drinking mineral water is not the same as taking a suppliment, any more than eating rocks is. Take a look at the back of the bottle. If the nutritional information panel says anything other than "zero" all across the board, put it back in the case. Bottled water really can be worse than tap water, though some brands are better than others.

Filtered water has: removed some, but not all contaminants found in tap water. Deffinately better than tap water, but not totally clean.

Reverse osmosis has: water. So far, it's the leading technology in water purification. The filtration system used is so effective that it even removes organisms, as well as removing chlorine and other contaminants. An added benefit is that you can have a reverse osmosis system installed in your house, so that you're not being gassed with chloroform and chlorine each time you're showering or soaking in the tub. It can also be purchased in bottles, if there's a reverse osmosis water store in your town; while you're still getting contact with plastic, you can be sure that's the only thing you're getting.

Hope this helps!
    ((*slurp*)) Shannon
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

I only drink bottled water. We have had several tests done on our tap water and it was quite gross what actually comes out of the faucet that is supposed to be OK for us to drink. No Thankyou!!!!!

Kriket
  13. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Thanks guys, I think I will switch to all bottled water..

Do you guys cook w/tap water? Just curious...
  14. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I stopped drinking tap water when I ended up in hospital with a guiardia but from it. Did some research on bottled water, which is usually in plastic bottles, and discovered that it ended up expensive and often had more bugs etc., than tap water.
    I ended up having an under sink water filter fitted. It has too filters what filter out almost all the nasties from the tap water and I just have to change the filters every six months. Other than that, I just have to turn on the tap and I have 'good' water. Over time, it has turned out to be cheaper than bottled water also.
  15. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi
    My Dr. told me to only drink mountain spring water. When the price of bottled water started rising I decided to get the reverse osmosis water from the health food store (35 cents a gallon) and I also put it into a Brita.

Gradually, over the period of about a year, I began to feel worse. So, I went back to drinking the mountain spring water, and the difference was really noticable. I felt so much better that I now look for sales so I can stick to it. She felt that part of the cause for our DD's is the level of pollutants all around is, in water, and even in air. I guess she knew what she was talking about.

Terry
  16. carebelle

carebelle New Member

A couple years ago they had a news story here (DC)about some fish changeing into something weird and said they thought it was because of hormones that were getting into the water .Yuck!I think I have not had a good glass of tap water in 40 years .We use filters in our frige water in the door.If it can change the cells of a fish wonder what its doing to us?
  17. jeanann

jeanann New Member

own well and a great water purification system!! I drink tap water. I would NEVER drink water that tastes or smells weird. I also have my water tested and we are luckey here to have really good water....
  18. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Get a really good water filter. Cheaper in the long run, and better than bottled water. Then just fill a water jug you can carry with you when you go out.

I take my own ice & water when I go to restaurants, as I've heard horror stories of the bacteria growing in their unclean facilities. It's bad enough to eat at the places that serve you chemicals!!

LIGHT**********carole
  19. Jordane

Jordane New Member

I drink bottled water.There is so much clorine in the
    water,yuk .

Take Care!!
  20. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

There is so much chlorine in our tap water that when I run water for a bath, it smells like the swimming pool at the YMCA. That's enough to turn me off from drinking it.

I have a filter on the faucet, but I've been seriously wondering if the cooler with the 5 gal of water on it would be best... then again, just another bill.
    Tigger