IS THAT ALL THERE IS?.....WHAT'S YOUR OPINION?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HOUSEOFBLUES, Oct 11, 2002.

1. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

How often should we be getting our ANA test done? I had to argue with my doctor about having another ANA test done. (The last one was a year ago.)
    He told me it won't make a difference, even if I have a test done every month! It will be the same result.
    Is this TRUE?
    I would think that we should be having Lab work done at least every year.
    Well, he finally said ok, and he's also sending me for
    cbc, sed rate,cpk, cmp, tsh, and acth.
    I also FINALLY got him to let me have an x-ray for my lower back and hips, because of chronic pain there.
    He asked me what was the RHEUMATOLOGIST doing for me? I told him that he just listens and takes notes. Only ONE time did he suggest I take a med (Ultram) which made me so "Foggy" that I stopped it. Then he said, "You know we've been playing around with this since 1998". "I'm sending you for these tests and if they all come back fine then we're going to wrap everything up and send you to LOYOLA Hosp."! (Which is a research hosp.)
    I don't know whether I should be glad or mad at his statement. Every time I see him he shows me how THICK my folder is getting!
    Well I don't think it's My fault that I have a lot of problems.
    The only meds I take are MOBIC(for pain) PROZAC (for depression), SYNTHROID for hypothyroidism, and SKELAXIN for the spasms I get on the rt. side of my rib cage. And the relief isn't very much....
    Is that all there is to this FIBRO diagnosis?
    No other tests are needed?
    I would appreciate any feedback on this........
    LOVE,
    HOUSEOFBLUES
  2. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

How often should we be getting our ANA test done? I had to argue with my doctor about having another ANA test done. (The last one was a year ago.)
    He told me it won't make a difference, even if I have a test done every month! It will be the same result.
    Is this TRUE?
    I would think that we should be having Lab work done at least every year.
    Well, he finally said ok, and he's also sending me for
    cbc, sed rate,cpk, cmp, tsh, and acth.
    I also FINALLY got him to let me have an x-ray for my lower back and hips, because of chronic pain there.
    He asked me what was the RHEUMATOLOGIST doing for me? I told him that he just listens and takes notes. Only ONE time did he suggest I take a med (Ultram) which made me so "Foggy" that I stopped it. Then he said, "You know we've been playing around with this since 1998". "I'm sending you for these tests and if they all come back fine then we're going to wrap everything up and send you to LOYOLA Hosp."! (Which is a research hosp.)
    I don't know whether I should be glad or mad at his statement. Every time I see him he shows me how THICK my folder is getting!
    Well I don't think it's My fault that I have a lot of problems.
    The only meds I take are MOBIC(for pain) PROZAC (for depression), SYNTHROID for hypothyroidism, and SKELAXIN for the spasms I get on the rt. side of my rib cage. And the relief isn't very much....
    Is that all there is to this FIBRO diagnosis?
    No other tests are needed?
    I would appreciate any feedback on this........
    LOVE,
    HOUSEOFBLUES
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

What type of Doctor are you currently seeing Houseofblues? Is this the Doctor that gave you the Fibro Diagnosis, or did the Rheumatologist?
    I believe I would be put off by a Doc--wielding my file as if it were evidence of too much work he or she has had to do. FM and CFS patients are high maintenance patients quite often--but that is the nature of the beast. My Doc's file of me needs two handed support, but I think his attitude is such that he is very thorough, and working with me extensively to manage this DD. But that aside--it sounds like you are your best advocate, demanding that it is your preference to have labs and x-rays done. You go girl! I think we have to be pro-active patients.
    You asked about the fibro diagnosis--I think the diagnosis is made when all other avenues are exhausted by tests, and you meet the tender point criteria. There is no specific test for Fibro, as far as I know.
    I think if I had other symptoms which arose, that I could not attribute to my fm or cfs, I would then seek out further testing to see what gives. Which could be the case in your lower back and hips.
    Good luck and let us know---how your results turn out.
    Karen
  4. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I received the FIBRO diagnosis from the RHEUMY...
    I'm going for the tests this week and will post their findings later.....

LOVE,
    HOUSEOFBLUES
  5. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

does NOT seem like a very good or compassionate dr or at least that is the way I am reading it. Sounds like he just doesn't want to fool with you anymore. You shouldn't have to beg him for all this testing. He should be running all kinds of blood work on you, especially if it has been a year ago. My mom has lupus and she is tested on a 6 month basis. I would really consider going to another dr in a different practise. This doc is "tired" of you. Have you been dx'ed with FM?
  6. TracyV

TracyV New Member

I think I would tell him "I will take my thick folder and wallet some where else!" I think I would have been upset about his commits.
    Hugs,
    Tracy
  7. jetmek

jetmek New Member

Hey house
    My dr frequently does ana tests on me if im experience a new symptom Im in the military hospital so im an oddity loland they question me all the time and write books on me it seems but i hope it does help future fibro sufferers but i think you need a new dr if he refuses to test you cause a blood test always has a change in itminor or not get a 2nd opinion cause your dr seems like they dont want to be bothered
    Huggys Jenny
  8. dlizard

dlizard New Member

well.... ANA's are wierd. They measure antibodies.... and listen girlfriend, since the early 80's mine were always positive until this year! Now they are negative. I've had three this year searching like you for what is the matter. I'm gonna tell you how I feel now so bear with me.. I'm one of those opinionated nurses LOL!!! I think all of us here are dealing with something absolutely unknown to modern medicine, whether it be through ignorance or something even stranger I don't know( ie: conspiracy, reaction to unknown air particulates, who knows.... haha )... But allow me to share with ya my views on research. I've been done that road and not only was it mighty unpleasant, it revealed nothing!!!!!! Nothing they didn't already know anyway! The simple problem is our disease is so complex that alot of doctors have no clue about us.... now imagine this: what if doctors knew nothing about say cancer or diabetes... isn't that an interesting thought,,,, how many people would die? Research hospitals put you through the ringer and leave yua hanging honey... go if you must but let your expectations be about reality. My guess is for your money, you're better off staying home with a sorry doc than putting yourself through a bunch more tests that reveal nothing they can detect. My guess is there is alot there they just don't know what to look for..... my prayers are with you, and good luck!
  9. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

You guys sure opened my eyes on that one....
    I know what you mean about the "Ringer", Liz...
    Both my mother and grandmother went thru it when They were in the research Hospitals. It's no "picnic"....
    Still, If all my tests come back "normal" I think I will seek another Doctor.....
    Thanks Guys...

LOVE,
    HOUSEOFBLUES
    [This Message was Edited on 10/13/2002]

[ advertisement ]