Is the following uncommon about my symptoms?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by sergemrk826, Jun 21, 2007.

1. sergemrk826

sergemrk826 New Member

This monday I woke up early in the morning with chills and an aching back. Didn't check my temperature, languished around, fell alseep in the afternoon and woke up monday night in a sweat. Started checking my temperature, at first it was around 99.5 then it got over 100 and my back still ached and my bladder was behaving strangley (sporadic urination, darker color).

I started worrying a lot, thought I had a kidnery or UT infection. Then yesterday my fever ran really high to 103.3 and low and behold, I found a fist sized, bull's eye rash on my calf. I don't know how I could have missed it before, but it seems to be swelling and changing colors within the course of hours. I live in upstate NY and I have been doing a lot of yard work so I was somewhat relieved because I had read that if you start antibiotics early, the curative chances are good.

But still, a few things are lingering in my mind about my symptoms. Currently I've taken two 100mg Doxycycline tablets (1 every 12 hours) so the medication hasn't had a chance to battle back the infection so my fever doesn't run so high. However, when the doc did a dipstick test on my urine he said that the protein was a little high, and he wasn't really sure what to make of it. Can any one relate to having urinary issues upon diagnosis of a infectious tick bite and rash?

Thank you for your time.

I'm also noticing right now that my throat is starting to become sore. Hoping this is just all part of my body and the antibiotic fighting the infection.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2007]
  2. munch1958

munch1958 Member

So sorry to hear about your tick bite and EM rash. I'd look for a Lyme Literate MD (LLMD) in your area and get in to see the doctor as soon as possible. If you mention you have the bullseye rash chances are you'll be seen immediately.

Take pictures of the rash too! You may want to outline the outer edges with a pen or permanent marker to see if the rash is enlarging. This is a sign that spirochetes are moving into the tissues. A doctor will want to biopsy the rash if possible.

I think the recommended dose for doxy is 200 mg. 2X per (about double what you are taking) day but I am not an expert nor a doctor. It would be best for a LLMD to evaluate you. You could try finding a doctor on lymenet.org

Knowing what I know now I would not let your GP or PCP handle this. They don't know enough about Bb. An LLMD sees hundreds (maybe thousands) of people with this infection and knows what meds are best. Then there is the possiblity of co-infection. Ticks can carry several other diseases.

You may want to read through Dr B's guidelines for treating Lyme (Bb) infections.
    http://www.ilads.org/files/burrascano_0905.pdf

I was perfectly fine until I went on a motorcycle/camping trip in 2001. It has taken me 6 years to get a diagnosis of Bb. I am hypothyroid so my temp is normally 96.x. No one was overly concerned when my fever was 102-3 during the tick bite phase of my borrelia infection. I developed encephalopathy (brain inflammation). My temp was 7 degrees above normal.

I ended up being hospitalized for 3 weeks in 3 different hospitals. My husband took me in when I could not lift a fork full of scrambled eggs to my mouth without spilling the food. Hey, I've been feeding myself for over 40 years. Plus I was falling down like I was drunk and walking into doorways.

I did have some bladder (urinary urgency and frequency) and bowel (the Big-D) issues. The joint pain was fierce but then the infection turned more neuro in nature. I was not able to sleep as my mind would not stop racing. A few months after the tick bite I had a huge personality change.

The more entrenched the infection gets the harder it is to get rid of. You may also want to pick up Stephen H. Buhner's book Healing Lyme and read the section on what to do if you have a tick bite. He has an herbal protocol for the newly infected.
  3. twitcher

twitcher New Member

It doesn't really matter. You could have a urinary tract infection as a separate problem or it could be related to lyme. The big issue is that you have lyme. It needs aggresive treatment now or you could have some serious problems in the future. You need doxy for a minimum of 6-8 weeks. The higher dose posted above sounds correct as far as I have read.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2007]