Is The Max Gerson Diet/Therapy A Good Thing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Nov 15, 2006.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I just saw a documentary on this person and his therapy and diet. Is this thing for real?

The documentary gave kind of both sides but leaned mostly on the good side of this therapy.

What is it basically? I mean what juices besides carrot and apple juice does it involve? If you can share a little of this therapy and diet with me it would be great.

I went to the Library but they don't carry anything by Max Gerson. I will order the two books I found on this off Amazon when I can afford them. Right now, I can't.

How do you get your protien with this plan? Is it really no meats at all? Thanks, JB
  2. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Thanks for getting back.
  3. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

Hi Joeb

It's been years, but my husband followed the gerson diet for about two years total. The program is extreme, and difficult. It requires numerous coffee enemas, lots of juicing and a rigid diet. We actually went to Mexico to learn about it and get started on it. I would never do it again. Looking back on it, it was a very foolish undertaking, but we were desperate.

My husband had lymphoma, and still does, and we had been told by five physicians that nothing could be done. In reality there was a lot that could be done, and in time, through extensive research and using the internet as a resource we found competant help at MD Anderson. It was a clear lesson to us to question a physicians answer and be your own advocate. He actually feels much better than I do, and is enjoying life.

Anyway back to your question, we will never know if the gerson program had any effect, but our opinion is that it did not. We also felt that it could be dangerous because of the massive amounts of fluid that it requires. We could never advise it.

If your still interested there is alot of information out there about juicing. It seems to me that a more moderate approach would be healthier. Sorry to put a damper on your idea, but I just couldn't let this thread go by without a reply. Good Luck.

Yours, Lil