Is the standard rate for mailing an envelope still 39 cents?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joyfully, Jun 2, 2007.

1. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Is the standard rate for mailing an envelope still 39 cents? My hubby indicated that it was going up in cost. I'm trying to catch up on bills since my surgery, and I don't know if I need to put additional postage on the envelopes.

If anyone knows, I'd sure appreciate your response. Joy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/14/2007]
  2. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Not to be contrary, but I'm thinking it's still 39 cents, although I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on it.

Wayne
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

OOPS! I use a 37 cent stamp and 2 one cent stamps. So I was putting the 39 cents on the envelope. Sorry that I wrote 37 cents. Now, I don't know what the standard mailing rate is for envelopes.

4. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Well, Alea just informed me that the postage rates are now 41 cents. But she doesn't have CFS or FM, so what would she know? :)

She also says these are "forever" stamps, and will always be good for first class mail no matter what rate increases there may be.

Wayne
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

"Forever" stamps are going to ruin my old joke. I used to say, "Buy a lot of stamps now before the price goes up."

But even if the Post Office does put out Forever stamps, they can't change the basic situation: the stamps may be good forever, but most of us won't.

Rock
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

They sell thoes 2 centers! to go along with the others! Some people buy rolls of 100,,,,,and then of course the price goes up and the 2 centers come in very handy!
  7. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Usually they announce the stamp rate hikes one weekend before it's going to take place. However, this time they announced it several weeks in advance, so I got confused and thought it had already taken effect. My hubby got confused too.

At least we don't use that many stamps. We pay our bills online. The Forever Stamp reminds me of keepsake jewelery. If you don't survive all of your forever stamps, you can pass them down to the next generation. It's something to always treasure (bad joke theater). Makes for great wedding gifts too. Looks like the goverment needs to raise some cash.

Erika :)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2007]
  8. mezombie

mezombie Member

You wrote:

"The Forever Stamp reminds me of keepsake jewelery. If you don't survive all of your forever stamps, you can pass them down to the next generation. It's something to always treasure (bad joke theater). Makes for great wedding gifts too."

ROTFL!!!

Thanks for the laughs!

Hugs,
    Zombie
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2007]
  9. mezombie

mezombie Member

I just found out that First class (airmail) letters now require 90 cent stamp.

That may be where you got the "9" from, ovrwhelm.

It is pretty ovewhelming trying to keep up with things like this,isn't it?

Let's all sing together, "Oh, I wish I had a brain.." from the Wizard of Oz!

Hugs,
    Zombie
  10. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Not to be contrary, but I seem to remember the refrain was "if I only had a brain". Wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on that one either however. :)

Wayne
  11. mezombie

mezombie Member

Brainless zombies should never be relied on!

:)
  12. teacher

teacher New Member

Conferin' with the flowers
    Consultin' with the rain
    And my head, I'd be scratchin'
    Whlie my thoughts were busy hatchin'
    If I only had a brain

I can't keep up with the price of stamps anymore. I just go into the post office and let them tell me how much I owe. Then, I go back to singing. Much easier on the brain and more fun too. Especially since my singing in public embarasses my 16-year-old niece!
  13. joyfully

joyfully New Member

My brain is still foggy from the surgery and additional medications. I had put 39 cents worth of stamps on the envelope, but it evidently needs 41 cents.

I do hope they deliver it anyway as it was my water bill and my electric bill. I really don't need the utilities shut off.

My airconditioner stopped working last night. I was fortunate to get a repairman out at 9 AM this morning. I can't imagine dealing with this Texas heat and humidity with no air conditioning. The surgical tape is driving me nutso with the itching on my neck anyway. I can't imagine what it would be like to be hot, sweaty, and have surgical tape itching!

14. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Glad I could entertain and amuse. I think our government copied the jewelry industry with the "Forever" name. "A diamond is forever", and now apparently a stamp is too! LOL

Have a wonderful night!

Hugs, Erika
  15. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I was singing that song in my head today when I was struggling to write the meditation post.

I would wager we here sing this a lot!

Peace out,
    Rafiki
    PS
    You and I are the same age Billy Burke was when she played Glinda. I'm going to take to wearing a big, pink dress! ;~)

16. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Rafiki,

Soooo, does it help to sing this? I mean, do you begin to feel like you have a brain? Or is more just wistfully thinking of how nice it might be?

I guess if I want to find out, I will just have to give it a try myself.

Have been meaning to mention to you that I've appreciated your posts on meditation, and how it can help us. Sometimes when we can't do what we would like to change our circumstances, we can always change our perspective.

Look forward to discussing more of this with you at some point.

Kind regards,

Wayne
  17. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I sing this part, 'cause it's the part I remember:

I'd unravel every riddle
    for every individdle
    in sorrow or in pain.

With the thoughts I'd be thinkin'
    I could be another Lincoln
    If I only had a brain.

I like the word "individdle". Makes me happy! It's a very merry song! I avoid singing anything that doesn't make me happy.

I do wish I could organize my thoughts to write about meditation instead of just throwing stuff out there but, it is what it is and I might as well be happy.

The greatest benefit and, in fact, one of the central goals of Buddhist meditation is to be happy! And, to try to unravel every riddle for every individdle in sorrow or in pain... happily!

If I only had a brain!
    ~Peace~
    Rafiki