Is theanine and l theanine the same thing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 8, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

My doc wants me to try theanine but all I can find is l theanine are these the same? I went to GNC and they didn't know and I have googled but can't find an answer. I do know there is a difference in tryptophan and L-tryptophan so was wonder about theanine.

2. greatgran

greatgran Member

just bumping
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

with Kina.

Suntheanine is the best, it is a trademarked/? brand that other brands relabel and what all the studies on L-theanine have been based on... more info from online:

It converts in the brain into GABA, the neurotransmitter involved in inhibiting over-active mental activities, such as stress. Unlike sedating herbs, theanine protects & enhances cognition, without causing sleepy or drowsiness. Also unlike other GABA compounds like Phenibut there is no withdrawal effect.

* Increases GABA levels - Reduces physical/mental stress, improves sleep & relaxation
    * Increases Dopamine release - Enhances focus, mood, and memory
    * Glutamate receptor antagonist (AMPA, Kainate, NMDA) - Neuroprotective

GNC used to sell it, not sure why they don't now, but you can find it at other HF stores or local vitamin stores or online.

Suntheanine/theanine is the only thing that has helped my son at all, after all the RXs failed, he has had paradoxical symptoms with all ADs etc... I can always tell if he doesn't take it.

all the best,

4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i just ordered some from trying to cut my xanax intake. so im gonna give it a try, and its not really expensive at all( Yippee!)