Is there a blood test for mycoplasm?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by pepper, Sep 26, 2008.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

I always thought that mycoplasm was a coinfection of Lyme disease but that seems to not be the case from what I have read here. Or maybe my mind is turning to mush again.

Just wondering since I think I have mycoplasm and I herxed incredibly on Doxycycline which is what is used to treat mycoplasm.

Thanks.
    Pepper
  2. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Yep!! It's just ME, ME, ME again!! www.medlineplus.gov
    is a good source for general medical questions including
    diagnosis and treatment of infection and diseases!

Huggles,
    MRDAD

P.S. as I mentioned earlier, one can Herx on Doxy Antibiotic
    for Lyme as well.

3. victoria

victoria New Member

but not very reliable. I believe the most reliable test is the Igenex test for lyme specifically, and even that's not that reliable overall (70%).

Mycoplasma is definitely something that can be carried by ticks and likely gotten other ways......... and it's more common to have co-infections than not - as research has found.

all the best,
    Victoria
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I will definitely make sure I am tested for mycoplasm. I am concerned, Victoria, that the Igenex is only 70% accurate overall!! I am really going to have to find some energy to do more research.

Thanks.
    Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2008]
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I know your Post is directed to Victoria, but I wish to insert
    here, and feel Victoria will agree, that 70% accuracy is about
    the best one can expect, no matter the lab involved. And
    Igenex seems to be the most respected. I d on't think you will
    do better anywhere else and doubt any other Lab can offer
    more.

Hope you're havin' a good day!
    Huggles,
    MRDAD
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

Thanks for the info. I think my CFS doc has dealt with Igenex in the past so he must respect their work - and he is very very fussy. I am surprised that 70% is the best we can expect but what is, is, and I will do what I have to do.

Thanks for your help.
    (((HUGS)))Pepper
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

--what MrDad said... pretty sad that it's only that good and that's the best. But given how devious this bug and other stealth pathogens (both bacteria and viruses) are, I guess it's no surprise.

Hope you get some 'concrete' answers via testing, but the fact of your reaction should tell you likely all you need to know.

all the best,
    Victoria

8. pepper

pepper New Member

I am convinced that I have mycoplasm. And my positive reaction to the Flagyl and the herxing from the Doxycycline convinces me that I have Lyme disease. I wish I could save the money and just get treated. But I guess that is not to be.

I am sure that a test will be invented at some point that will be more accurate - but I am not waiting around for that!

Thanks, Victoria.
    Pepper