Is there a cheaper alternative to cymbalta?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ann31065, May 3, 2008.

1. ann31065

ann31065 New Member

I still have to pay 60 dollars after insurance for a months worth. It is why I had to go off of it.
  2. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

I'm interested in hearing opinions on this too. I'm trying to find a drug (with generic available) that hits on just the right amount of serotonin and norepinephrine. For me, Cymbalta leans a little too hard on the latter while the SSRIs, which only hit serotonin, are too sedating. Such a balancing act!
  3. limbo

limbo Member

effexor has a generic tablet called venlafaxine, and I wouldn't have known but my insurance recommended it. MY copay is $4. Space out your tablets like am and pm and I'm doing fine now that spring is here and I do take D3. Hope this helps. Betty
  4. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

cymbalta is a new drug on the market. For it to be a generic drug it must be on the market 5 to 7 years.
    Before they consider to make it a generic drug.
    how else will the drug companies make money.....
  5. ann31065

ann31065 New Member

I wish there was a way to get relief without all of the meds.
  6. Sergei0001

Sergei0001 New Member

you might look into remeron. it's in a class by itself, not exactly an SSRI or a SNRI. The anti depressant dose starts at 30mg, but it's actually better for sleep at lower dose of 15mg. It's generic and works well for me as an anti depressant. I originally started it for sleep as I have severe sleep problems and it does -- in combo with low dose doxepin, a little klonopin and melatonin -- help me fall asleep but nothing has helped me stay asleep and get good quality sleep, reliably.

I'm actually looking into cymbalta for sleep as I've run out of options (other than a cure of CFS!)

7. goodnitegracey

goodnitegracey New Member

All drugs have a time frame that they are protected under patent. This prevents generic for that 5-7 year period. You may ask your doctor about samples here and there to get you by.My doctor is able to do this for me when it is tight.Good luck, tab
  8. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

doxepin at 10-20mg/night, its an old style tricyclic antidepressant that works well for pain and sleep. Normal dose for depression is 75mg but people with cfs find 10-20mg works well and reduces next day hang over, can increase appetitte so keep the calories in check and enjoy some good sleep. Cheap too.