Is there a danger in taking too much Magnesium?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Mar 3, 2010.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

I have wondered about the danger of taking too much Magnesium, so I looked up this question on the Dr. Oz website and this is what I found:

Is there a danger in taking too much magnesium?

1 Expert Answer

Most Recent Answer
    by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum

Except for rare folks with kidney failure, the only significant toxicity if your magnesium level goes too high is uncomfortable diarrhea.
  2. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

"People with heart or kidney disease should not take magnesium supplements except under their doctor's supervision.

It is very rare to overdose on magnesium from food. However, people who ingest large amounts of milk of magnesia (as a laxative or antacid) or epsom salts (as a laxative or tonic) may overdose, especially if they have kidney problems. Too much magnesium can cause serious health problems, including nausea, vomiting, severely lowered blood pressure, slowed heart rate, deficiencies of other minerals, confusion, coma, and even death.

More common side effects from magnesium include upset stomach and diarrhea.

Magnesium competes with calcium for absorption and can cause a calcium deficiency if calcium levels are already low. Some medications may lower magnesium levels in the body. These include chemotherapy drugs, diuretics, digoxin (Lanoxin), hormonal supplementation, steroids, and certain antibiotics."

(Source: )
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I am so glad that you mentioned people with heart disease should not take magnesium supplements except under their doctor's supervision.

I was considering taking it, but now I won't until I contact the doc, because I have a lot of heart problems.

That is what worries me about so many people taking supplements and willing to take more when you don't know how they will affect you because of different medical problems.

Thanks for the info!
  4. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Yes, in most cases magnesium is beneficial for heart disease, especially in preventative medicine, but there ARE scenarios that would make it dangerous so it's always best to check with someone knowledgable in case you happen to be one of those people. :) Glad to have helped!

I take magnesium and have for years, and it's a huge help. I think a good rule is to use supplements to do just that: SUPPLEMENT your diet, when you know you're not getting enough of something, or when you know you're deficient either through tests or because you have a condition that makes it hard for your body to utilize minerals even when you have enough of it.

5. goneee

goneee New Member

I asked my son who is a doctor and the only answer he gave me was "Yes" I wanted to know how much was too much, and the only answer I got was "no more than 450 mg per day and that would include magnesium that is present in other supplements, etc as well".
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

with those who say, it depends on the person. Of course check to make sure if you have a heart condition that would contra-indicate it, it depends. But it does often help the heart because of diseases one may have and not know they have.

Case in point: My son at age 20 started having 'weird heart feelings', I believe palpitations. We had him get an EKG, it was abnormal. He was scheduled for a stress test 2 days later. However, the night of the first EKG, he realized he had dropped a supplement of magnesium, dropping total amount from about 1300 mg/day to 800 mg. He added it back in, and within a few hours, the 'weird feelings' disappeared. Needless to say, his stress test was totally normal also.

He has Lyme, bartonella and babesiosis. Lyme is known to need magnesium, I'm sure it's not the only organism that does.... so it makes sense to supplement --within reason and depending on your own clinical picture.

all the best,