Is there a diet anyone follows to help FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WifeHasFMS, Sep 17, 2002.

1. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

Hi everybody,

Is their a diet anybody follows to help FMS? Certain foods/drinks you should/should not eat?

Thanks,

WifeHasFMS
  2. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

Hi everybody,

Is their a diet anybody follows to help FMS? Certain foods/drinks you should/should not eat?

Thanks,

WifeHasFMS
  3. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

Thanks for your reply. When you say you had success witi Red Marine Algae capsules from The Vitamin Shoppe. Do you mean it is helping control FMS a great deal?

Thanks
  4. FMSisAPain

FMSisAPain New Member

That being said there are diets that can lessen the symptoms for some folks. Many people that have FMS also suffer from hypoglycemia - for them diet is a must.

Nutrition is critical in my opinion. As you read the boards you will find that many of us are low in important vitamins and minerals like iron, B12, magnesium, calcium, etc.

I know someone who followed the diet for arthritics and found her symptoms were dramatically reduced. While it was wonderful for her, this may not work for everyone.

Use common sense for somone that is ill and on medications -avoid alcohol, caffeine and sugar. If she has food allergies they need to be taken into account. Ask your wife's doctor what would be appropriate for her based on all of her medical conditions.

Remember FMS is not a temporary inconvenience, it is a way of life and you must adjust.

Good luck
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Most FMSers can get some relief from an anti-inflammation diet which involves many small high protein meals,lots of coldwater fish, nuts, olive oil for fats, and little or no simple carbs (refined sugar and flour). It is not a cure however. One thing that is an absolute no-no for FMS is aspartame (Nutrasweet) because it is a neurological excito-toxin.
    If the person has IBS as many FMSers do, then following the rules for dealing with that will help also, and peppermint oil caps can be useful. Supplements may be essential, since we need more nutrition than normals. B complex, COQ10, digestive enzymes, probiotics, Calcium citrate during the day, and ZMA at night would be my general recommendation. You can get all of these supps.right here in Prohealth's store.
    Klutzo
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just bought the Syndrome X book on nutrition. I also got one on cortison because there is a relationship. Since I was put on Elavil and Flexeril (I no longer take either) I've put on 40 pounds. A lot of my weight is around the middle. My cholesterol has risen, especially the bad stuff, and my BP is high. I suspect I've gone from hypoglycemia to being insulin resistant. This is an even greater threat to my health than the FMS/CFIDS.

I feel as though I stand at the top of a ridge and could fall into a downward spiral of ill health leading to full-blown diabetes if I cannot get it under control NOW. I have tried to maintain a high protein/low carb diet and I don't eat the no no's, but it's time to strictly adhere to a program to help me do something about the threat. Thanks for telling me about the Snydrome X book.

Love, Mikie
  7. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

Hi,
    I tried Dr. Elrod's plan and it helped me a lot. I detoxed for 10 days and then started the new diet. I had headaches for two weeks until my body adjusted, but now I feel great. I took out all the junk.
    I read "Reversing Fibromyalgia" and Dr. Elrod's plan is in that book. I have also seen his plan in other Fibro books.
    Hope this helps, but it is not a cure-all. Exercise helps too. If you can get the "Sit and be Fit" videos from pbs.org they are good exercises to do.
  8. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I've seen many here report great success by cutting out starches, artificial sweetners and sugars. Of course zero caffeine is a must! By cutting out starches and sugars, you are eliminating the chemicals that mess up our bodies and are now known to cause cancers, asthma, diabetes, allergies, etc.... Eat fish, red and white meats, vegy's, fruits and "WHOLE" grains and you should see an improvement within a week at least. Your mind will be clearer, you'll sleep better, your pain might lessen, anxiety begins to dissapate, etc....

Good luck!
    Marilyn :)
  9. chrissy

chrissy New Member

I read the book called "The fibromyalgia nutrition guide by Mary Moeller and Dr Joe M. Elrod . It also addresses dietary needs for people who suffer of CFS, migraines, sleep disorders and other chronic conditions. I found it very helpful, it is published by Woodland Publishing, Pleasant Grove, Utah I also found out that eating ALKALINE foods will help reduce the amount of toxic acids circulating in the body. What amazed me is that you CANNOT say what category a food is in just by taste. For example, Baking soda, onions, lime raspberry and watermelon are very alkaline, grapefruit, lemon, mangoes oranges and bananas a little less, but Beer, Sugar, Vinegar and Fried Foods are very acidic. SO YOU SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM ACIDIC FOODS
    There is also a very interesting book called ACID and ALKALINE by Herman AIhara published by George Ohsawa Macrobiotic Foundation in Oroville, CA. Hope this helps, I am struggling with FMS and CMP and this has helped me a lot. Knowledge is power. Good luck to you and your wife
    Chrissy
  10. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I just wanted to say I found the replies very helpful. I too am looking into proper nutrician for Fibro.
  11. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Mikie - you're very welcome. I am sorry you appear to be in the same boat as I am now, only I gained 70 lbs., not 40, from a combo of anti-depressants and estrogen replacement. I just read an article today that says the diet I am doing is fine for preventing insulin resistance, but if you already have it you have to go further, and eliminate starches completely, even whole fruits, until your BP and cholesterol and weight are normalized. I did not want to hear this! About a year ago, I stuck with the limited carb diet and reduced my cardiac risk ratio to an acceptable 3.6, but I gained 9 lbs. in the process. If you learn any tips while on the diet, please post them for the rest of us, and I will do the same. Thanks.
    Chrissy- There is another classic book on this called "Alkalize or Die". I can't remember the author, but it's impossible to forget a title like that! I think most FMSers notice they have trouble with burning tongue if they eat too many acid foods,and I burn all over my body if I eat too many, esp. citrus, which I love. This disease will definitely teach self-discipline if you didn't already have it!
    Klutzo
  12. inpain3

inpain3 New Member

Not sure if all this is allowed, but here is the diet I follow. And personaly it helps me a lot. I have noticed a big difference in "flares" they dont come as strong, or last as often. **be sure to discuss with you doc b 4 you try any diet, including this one!**

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET

PURPOSE OF THE DIET

DECREASE INFLAMMATION => DECREASES PAIN
    Decrease body's own production of inflammatory mediators
    Increase body's own anti-inflammatory mediators
    Support Organ & Glandular systems: Liver, Adrenal & Thyroid glands

RECOMMENDATIONS

AVOID:

SATURATED FATS
    Red meats, dairy products, baked goods

PEANUTS & PEANUT OIL
    Arachadonic acids triggers inflammation

ALTERED FATS
    Shortenings, margarines, fried foods

REFINED CARBOHYDRATES
    Sugar, white flour, refined foods

METHYLXANTHINES
    CAFFEINE, THEOPHYLINE:

Coffee, tea, chocolate, pop

RED MEAT & FOWL
    Organic fowl is acceptable

DAIRY PRODUCTS
    Milk, cheese, butter, ice-cream, yogurt

CABBAGE FAMILY - RAW
    Cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower

ORANGES, GRAPEFRUITS
    Inhibits LIVER'S ENZYME SYSTEM

Increase:

ESSENTIAL FATS
    Olive & flax oil, sesame, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, cold water fish

COMPLEX CARBOHYDRATES
    Vegetables, whole grains, legumes

WHOLE GRAINS
    Amaranth, barley, brown rice, buckwheat, kamut, oats, quinoa, rye, spelt, triticale & wild rice

PROTEIN VARIETY
    Organic fowl, cold water fish, soy products, legumes (bean family), nuts & seeds

COLD WATER FISH
    Salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines & eel

NATURAL FIBRE
    Fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, whole grains & legumes = ADEQUATE FIBRE INTAKE

BEWARE COMMERCIALIZED HIGH FIBRE CEREALS have questionable nutrition, high sodium and hidden sugar content

WATER
    Pure, uncontaminated, filtered water

Good luck and God bless!
    inpain3
  13. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

for replying with the information on a diet to follow to help FMS. I really appreciate it. I will pass this onto my wife.

WifeHasFMS