Is there a link between CFS, MONO, and EPSTEIN BARR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellbear, Feb 7, 2003.

1. kellbear

kellbear New Member

I have read a few articles where some doc's think that people who had mono or epstein barr are at a higher risk for CFS. Any thoughts?
  2. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

I tested positive for the Epstein-Barr virus back in 1999. I haven't felt right since, although I believe my FMS symptoms started in my early teens. I know a lot of people who were diganosed with CFS or FMS (if not both) after a bout of mono.

I personally believe that Epstein-Barr weakens the immune system forever. Even if you do recover from the virus, you still have the anti-bodies in your system. Who knows that affect they have.
  3. TerriM

TerriM New Member

Many people with CFS test positive for Epstein-Barr, but many also do not. I have CFS and my EBV test showed that I have never been exposed to that virus. Some people used to call CFS Chronic Epstein-Barr virus, a definite misnomer. People with CFS do have problems with different viruses, especially ones they have had in the past reactivating. If you have not been tested, you should make sure you don't have it. People with CFS also have problems with other infectious diseases (especially Herpes Viruses in particular Herpes 6, Epstein Barr, Lyme Disease, Cytomegalovirus, plus Mycoplasma infections -- forgive me I'm probably leaving something out here).

Hope this helps . . . Terri
  4. susabar

susabar New Member

My daughter became ill with mono in 1991... she has been sick eversince.. she also tested positive for epstein barr virus. She was only in 9th grade and eventually dropped out of school, and got her GED Life has been a struggle eversince.

Sorry to say
  5. kellbear

kellbear New Member

Hi, thanks for your responses. I believe that mine was started from my illness with Mono when I was 18. I am 28 now, and although I am getting all sorts of symptoms now, the only symptom I notice over the past ten years is that I would have long bouts with fatigue and brain fogg at times.
    I had Mono for 6 months and was hospitalized. In fact, I described my current symptoms to my doctor as worse than when I had Mono.
  6. cowlady

cowlady Member

Kellbear - I don't care what anyone tells you, I am convinced the 3 are related. I am new to this. When I was a teenager I kept Mono - it seemed like I could not get rid of it. My parents made me rest. I only went to school a few days a week. I had no social life. So Mom and Dad made sure I followed Dr.'s orders. It seems anything that lies dormant in my body that stress brings out, guess what? I get it. Yes there is a connection.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Mono and EBV are only two of many triggers for CFS. Mine was triggered by a mycoplasma infection 12 years ago. I believe that any stress which overwhelms the immune system can bring on CFS, probably in people already genetically predisposed.

Love, Mikie
  8. 2girls

2girls New Member

The doc that diagnosed me with FM did mention this. I had the Epstein Barr virus about 26 years ago - was sick for an entire summer. I do not know that it is related because I have only had the FM symptoms for 2 years now.
    Also, some docs believe that FM and CFS are one in the same. I was diagnosed with FM but seem to have alot of symptoms from the CFS group. Who knows?

2girls
  9. AutumnMoon

AutumnMoon New Member

I can honestly say that my life has changed since being first diagnosed with CFS and Epstein Barr five years ago. It started out as mono however and when I did not recover three months later I was diagnosed with CFS/EB. The doctor that I had made sure to send the point home to me that she did not beleive in CFS or EB and told me to go back to work. So I did. I lost 70 pounds in 5 months and slept at my desk in my office at work. It was a very isolating experience for me. This message is not intended to drag someone down that has recently been diagnosed, but the opposite. I found a new doctor who tracked and treated my condition with facts, suggestions and medical know how. It was a blessing! I still have periods of struggle with the fatigue and weakness. But it really hasnt been anything compared to what I experienced for two years. Keep your chin up! Know that what you are going through is a very real, very serious condition. Take care of yourself and find a doctor who has researched what you are going through. It will make a huge difference. And as a side note: many people struggle with depression after being diagnosed. Please find support, someone to talk to can have a strong impact on your recovery.
  10. DebbyL

DebbyL New Member

Can anyone tell me if I could have CFS? I was diagnosed with EBV about a year and a half ago. Doctors arent giving me much help. Just to take vitamins. I have bouts with severe fatigue just about once a month or so and usually lasts about a week or so. I have never felt the same since I was diagnosed. Is this a lifetime thing? When I ask my doctor she seems to not know the answer to that or acts like there's not much help for this. Maybe sharing the problem will help. By the way, I'm new to this site. Thanks for any feedback. Deb