Is there a mother-child link with RA, FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jujubee, Oct 7, 2005.

1. jujubee

jujubee New Member

I tested positive for ANA in an RA panel about 3 years ago.
    Tonight my daughter just called and said she'd just got the news that she too has a positive ANA and elevated sed rate. I am worried for my daugther. Is there a genetic link?

Her doctor is also considering CFS and/or FM as alternatives to RA or Lupus. My rheumy keeps finding the positive ANA, but other tests continue to be "mixed." So FM is the only consistent problem for me.
  2. hurts2003

hurts2003 New Member

Both my parents had RA and my dr said that FM was the first cousin to RA. He said that with RA running on both sides of my family it was a given that I would have something wrong with me.
  3. jujubee

jujubee New Member

I thought I had heard the RA and other auto immune diseases were passed from parent to child. Right now I think I am more afraid for my daughter than anything else. She is 34, has 3 children (ages 8 and 6 (twins)).

Thanks for the feedback, so late at night.
  4. lilbird

lilbird New Member

Two of my three children are showing signs of FM/CF. They are only 22 and 24. They are both doing lots of blood work to find the cause.

I wish your daughter the best
    Cathy
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

there is a genetic link. Although he wasn't officially diagnosed, I believe my father had FMS. So far I am the only one of my siblings to also have FMS.

Ellen
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

But a couple of years ago I came across a biographical history of my great great grandmother. I was very interested to read it because my father had been adopted, and this was his biological line which I knew nothing about.

There were several times throughout the 400+ pages that it was mentioned that the 'neuralgia' in the subject's shoulders and arms was very painful, starting when she was in her late teens or early twenties. It was even a factor in the family later moving from Montana to Arkansas.

At the time, I was going through my first flare of FM (after several years of CFS) -- and the areas affected were my shoulders and arms. It was actually quite comforting to read I wasn't the first...even if it was a coincidence and not genetic -- fortunately I do not have to outrun a Civil War artillery unit when I flare these days.