Is there a natural treatment for anxiety?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lmn, Jul 30, 2008.

1. lmn

lmn New Member

Hi all,

I've been taking Effexor for years to treat my FM associated anxiety and was wondering if anyone has successfully treated this problem with natural remedies. My dr. was unaware of any but was 100% behind me if I could find one that works.

2. jbc66

jbc66 New Member

Learn how to deep breath and teach yourself to meditate. I no longer have trouble with anxiety and I am off of everything I was using for anxiety. I am currently tapering off of my doxepin and hope to be drug free in the next two to three months.

A good site for meditation is
    Also, be aware that when you discontinue an SSRI or an SNRI (I think that's the acronym for effexor) that you will be dealing with a washout period that will result in greater anxiety and depression. You will get through it! It is probably good to take some time off of work to do this. It took me two months to get over the effects of tapering off of zoloft, but it was worth it!
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

l-theanine is an amino acid derived from green tea. It helps the brain produce GABA and is very calming with no bad side effects. I think it's easier to absorb than straight GABA.

Also, if your cortisol levels are high, that can cause anxiety too. My levels were high and I was given Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) to lower them. But many people on this board have the opposite problem, low cortisol. There's a test called Adrenal Stress Index Test (a 24-hour saliva test) which measures cortisol levels at 4 different times and it's a very good test to have done.

Meditation and deep breathing are good too of course.

Good luck --

4. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

I was going to mention all the above mentioned things like meditation, GABA, L-theanine, etc...

They work.

Good luck-anxiety is no fun.
  5. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi All,

I am researching this currently too. This is my short list:

Lemon Balm

Passion Flower

L-Theanine (be sure it is SunTheanine - a pure formulation)

I am doing pretty well with l-theanine. Gaba has been tricky - with excellent results and then some spaciness and itching. Valerian is okay - maybe I didn't take enough.

Haven't tried passion flower yet and I have a forumla that includes both l-theanine and lemon balm that is supposed to be excellent. I take small amounts of each first to see how I do then expand from there.

I don't sleep and have very bad anxiety and panic...So I have been working on this for a while.

Praying I can help...

God Bless,

[This Message was Edited on 07/30/2008]
  6. Shalome1990

Shalome1990 New Member

My husband has anxiety attacks, hyperventilates, and has involuntary muscle twitches when he gets nervous or if something is worrying him. While researching for myself, I found Calming Balance from Health Freedom Nutrition or Tranquility from Ultracueticals for him. These were made specifically for fibro suffers and chronic fatigue. He is hesitant to take any medicine or herbals because it gives him really bad side affects. It either knocks him out, or makes him more anxious. I found this in the Fatigued to Fantastic book I got on-line to read for myself.
  7. sunflowerxo

sunflowerxo New Member

My naturopath has been treating me for 5 weeks with Nux pellets 6X (low dose) for FM symptoms of anxiety, restlessness, heat/cold intolerance, irritability, nightmares, dizziness, nausea, sensitivity to light, noise, smell, headaches, backaches any more. It seems to help my anxiety some and is regulating my temperature. It is safe maybe check out this site...
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

I've looked into this for my brother and found a product called Calms Forte. Its for sleep and anxiety/stress.

I just bought this yesterday so I'm not sure if it works yet. But all the reviews on it were very good.
    amazon has it,and alot of other sites,..walmarts as well.
    hope this helps~
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

For a very simple (and effective) meditation technique, read "The Relaxation Response" by Herbert Benson, M.D. It came out in 1975, but it's a very good book, and is a very easy and interesting read. It got me started meditating.

Meditating isn't difficult - the difficulty is doing it every day. You don't see results right away, and at first it can be hard to quiet your mind even for a few seconds, but that's okay. You just plug along, and make slow gradual progress.

There are lots of books on meditation, but I think this is one of the most accessible, and also a very interesting read.

10. lmn

lmn New Member

for all of the great info. i appreciate it!
  11. jinlee

jinlee Member

Low thyroid will cause anxiety and make panic attacks worse.

I am now off of zoloft (took it for 15 years) and have really cut down on clonazepam.

My thyroid was very low and doc said when this normalized so would my anxiety and panic attacks. She was right. Also there are new standards as to the numbers your thyroid should be which makes way more people hypothyroid.

Hope this helps.

12. lmn

lmn New Member

i do take levoxyl for thyroid disease and have an appt. with a new endo soon.
  13. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Have you tried a natural adrenal support?

I take 3g Vit C, 500mg Vit B5, Vit E 800iu,

There are also herbals that can help:
    licorice root
    rhodioloa rosea
    ashwagandha - can help thyroid & adrenals

Take a look at these websites to see if you have adrenal and / or thyroid symptoms (regardless of blood tests) - it's very good. This gives info on what to take for adrenal recovery.
  14. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Imn,

You may want to check out following thread:

<a href="">Our wacko autonomic nervous systems Do you have a fix?</a>

I did a post there on some of my experiences with a microcurrent device called Alpha Stim 100. It seems pertinent to your question.

Regards, Wayne
  15. lmn

lmn New Member

I will check into it.