IS THERE A RECOMMENDED AGE TO HAVE HEART CHECKED?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mhammie, Aug 8, 2005.

1. mhammie

mhammie New Member

With Mikie going to get her heart checked it makes me wonder, if doctors are recommending any kind of heart checkups at a certain age? Especially now that doctors know there are differences in the warning signs in men & women when having heart attacks.

It would be nice to know if our doctors recommend certain tests when we have FM & CFS. And are we at risk for heart problems with FM & CFS?

At this point the only risk factor I have is high cholesterol, which really isn't that high. I always have low blood pressure. Have in the past had heart palpatations, diziness, chest pain & pressure on the left side & center. Never occurs when I'm at the doctors office of course. Had an EKG 18 months ago, before surgery. It was normal. Only person that I know of in my family with heart problems was my great grandmother, along with diabetes.

Mikie, it's good to know your doctor is checking things out. I'm sure everything will work out to be o.k.

Mhammie

2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

3. mhammie

mhammie New Member

4. JLH

JLH New Member

Mhammie:

It seems like at 40, everyone goes to pot!

If you are over 40, I don't think it would hurt (if you have good insurance!!) to start in with a cardiologist and get a stress test since you do have high chlorestrol and have a history of heart palpatations, dizziness, chest pain, and pressure on the left side and center of your chest.

Any time you have the above symptoms, you should be checked out.

Heart disease is one of the top reasons for deaths in women.

You're probably okay since you just had a normal EKG 18 months ago. But a stress test would tell a doc more, I think.

Make sure you mention your family's history of heart disease, high chlorestrol, high blood pressure, and diabetes.

My motto is it's better to be safe than sorry. If you have children, they need their mama around!

Take care,
    Janet

P.S. I'm 54 and have had heart trouble for the last 15 years. I had to have a pacemaker put in 3 years ago and have been on a few heart meds for probably 12 years.
  5. mhammie

mhammie New Member

Thank you for taking the time to respond. There are so many kind & helpful people on this board.

I have another checkup with my PCP in 2 months. Also have appt. with to see gastro doc next month. I'll ask my PCP when I go back about regular heart check-ups.

Jlh, sorry to hear you have heart problems on top of everything else. How did you find out?

Thanks,
    Mhammie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think you should see a cardio. PCP's aren't very good at spotting the more subtle changes in the EKS's. My cardio's nurse said her husband's doctor sent him home with big obvious problems on his EKG. No one mentioned anything to him.

My new PCP immediately had me see the cardio when I mentioned some heart palpitations, pressure in my chest, and a history of heart attacks in our family. They did an EKG in the office and there were subtle problems from two of the leads, just like in the stress test three years ago. Despite the changes from both the old stress test and the EKG, no one said a word to me. They couldn't even find the EKG and didn't fax it to the cardio and it had to be repeated. The cardio immediately spotted these changes and ordered the other tests.

I think it's much better to be safe.

Love, Mikie