Is there a special diet for FM and CFS patients?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kagom, Apr 18, 2007.

1. kagom

kagom New Member

I don't know what to eat and what not to eat or even if it matters. Anyone know?
  2. hurtbunny

hurtbunny New Member

I've wondered this myself, and will be looking for others responses to your question. I know we can all be different, but I'm sure there are some guidelines we should follow, although I don't know what they are either. I believe caffeine and alcohol are no-no's, and would think fresh fruit and veggies are good. also, protein is good for our muscles, so nuts and lean meats are important for that. I look forward to others' responses. Again, thank you for raising this important issue!!!! A fellow fibro sufferer.
  3. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I think it depends who you talk to! I've heard alot of people on the board who have said their health was improved by staying away from gluten (wheat products) as well as lactose (milk products) - I asked my rhumy and he said basically that we should eat healthy - lots of fresh vegies, somewhat low fat.. you know, the stuff were supposed to eat! : ) I've heard talk that we are supposed to avoid night-shade foods..

not much help am I !! ; )
    hugs,
    dona
  4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Most of us have food intolerances, so we have to get those foods out of our diets ...

I've made a lot of progress in the last 19 months by eliminating gluten, dairy, soy, egg, corn and all chemicals. My ataxia, myoclonus, most of my IBS and some of my fatigue is gone. My brain fog has been lessened too. Visual complaints (fuzzy vision) is 80% gone too.

I'm mostly dealing with post exertional fatigue and deconditioning at this point.

It's hard at first, but definitely worth it .. xchoc
    [This Message was Edited on 04/18/2007]
  5. tjsmom

tjsmom New Member

As mentioned earlier - there are several opinions and experiences with food/diet/intolerances etc. on the board.
    For some people, starting with an allergy screening is a good "point A" for others, an elimination diet first, and then slowly introducing "new" foods. For my son TJ, he tested negative for any food allergies - we first suspected celiac b4 DX of CFIDS - in any case, we have eliminated all foods with added vitamin D from his diet, we all eat only whole-foods now - nothing processed, whole grains and organically grown/raised - also, only lean meat, no organ meat or pork sausage or bacon. (TJ is scheduled to start the MP soon, and this diet is in line with that and Th1 autoimmune inflamation issues)The whole family has experienced improved health - most significantly, TJ's joint and muscle pain is down to a 1 or 2 most days and used to be 9 or 10 most days.
    TJ's doc wants us to look into glyco-nutrionals as well.
    Best of luck to you - I think just knowing that any "garbage in" is going to make you feel worse is the most useful and basic guideline.
    Peace,
    Kim
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I have FM. Having delayed food allergy testing and then following the elimination diet has helped alot. (www.sagemedlab.com) Now I will start the challenge phase of the diet. I also started an antiviral med, Famvir, at the same time. My exhausted feeling was gone after 12 days and I have less stiffness and soreness. My Dr. (www.4fibromyalgia.com) said my results have been quick and dramatic, which he attributes greatly to the food elimination. I eliminated 22 things which has been very hard, but worth it. Some of the big ones for me are cane sugar, corn(such as high fructose corn syrup, corn starch), milk, wheat, peanuts, cinnamon, barley, pineapple....) The testing showed me that I had intolerences to foods that I never would have guessed.
  7. kagom

kagom New Member

I thank you for your help. I will try what you all have mention st se what works best. I appreciate your help. Thanks again.