Is there a trick to posting??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kathleen12, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I have noticed that alot of you answer replies all in one post, like on the porchlight thread. How in the world are you able to remember each post in order to answer it? I know remembering the names will become easier as I become more familiar with you all, But I could never remember who wrote what. Is this just the brain fog and loss of memory? Do you all have a trick for doing this??
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I had problems with this especially when I first started posting here. What I do is use the back button to read a post and then the forward to answer. Sometimes I have to keep going back. There is another way to see them too, but I forgot how. Maybe someone else here can help with that.

Sometimes when I go to edit a post I accidently pust delete and all my hard work is gone!!!
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

I mentioned my secret to posting on the porch. I open wordpad in a smaller window and type my post there. I can look at the porch post then go back to word. Rock uses his email program to type up his post. That is one way to never lose a post.

I don't do it evertime, it depends on my brain fog,lol. Hang in there, you'll get it-Carla
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

The first way is to keep your main window on the post with all the replies. Then, open up a second window and go to the same page, then hit 'reply'. That way you can switch between the screens to read/reply OR you can have each window on half your computer screen (main post on top, reply screen on bottom). That way you can see and read the original post while you write.

Another way to do it is to highlight and copy ALL (yes, ALL) the original post and replies. Then paste them into the reply window. As you scroll through and read, you can write your reply, then erase the part you've already read. When you reach the end, all you should have left is your reply.
  5. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

These are all great tips so let me try it here....

Mollystwin...the back arrow works very far. Thanks
    CKBALL...I read the post you made about word pad earlier, but have no idea how to even get there. My laptop is a toy,not a tool. One day I'll be able to learn how to use this thing...LOL
    Twinofdar....Ya'll aren't sharp?? I thought I was rubbing elbows with the Mensa Club!!

Yep, the back/forward buttons is where it's at! Thanks guys.
  6. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Thanks, you must have posted this at the same time I did. Thank you for that suggestion. I'll try that one too. I just thought that you all had impeckable(sp) memories!
  7. kellyann

kellyann New Member

is to just take notes as I'm reading, then I won't forget when I post! It takes longer, but hey, all I have is time.

Take Care!
  8. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I think I will try that one! Not sure I could do the notepad one. Is there a certain software required for that?

Or I could try Rock's method too. I hope I'm not too set in my ways with my back and forth method to learn a new one!!
  9. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

sometimes I'll go to "file" and just print the whole thread on paper. Good luck, mr bill
  10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

To return to former Posts on a thread and re-read what has been written, I hit my "green arrow" on my Mac and it allows me to scroll back and read what has been posted. Hit the arrow
    on the "right" to return to what you wer writing. So it's just a "back" and then forward again.

Hope that's helpful?

11. ckball

ckball New Member

Click on start, then go to accessories, look down the list and you will see wordpad or notepad depending on your computer. It really is that easy. Once you write your post, click "select all" then copy, move to the thread and paste it into the reply box by right clicking your mouse.

Some use their email program and copy and paste too- Carla
  12. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

When you click 'reply', hold the 'shift' key down as well. That will take you to a separate window for you to reply to the post. Then you can easily move back to the previous window (with the original post) to remind yourself of what was said. God bless, Anne Theresa
  13. Juloo

Juloo Member

I LOVE that -- so QUICK! In fact, I tried it out right now! Definitely a great tip!
  14. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Wow! I really like this!! A separate window!! It works great. I'm doing it now too!!

You are never too old to learn new tricks!
  15. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I do like the back and forward buttons and now I have a new way. Not sure which I like best so far, though.

Carla, I don't think the note pad or email works to well for me though. But it was another great suggestion posted here. Thank you!