Is there an AntiDepressant that does not cause weight gain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 6cats, Apr 19, 2007.

1. 6cats

6cats New Member

Decreased on my Cymbalta due to weight gain but now feel the difference in my knees...ugggg....I am on elavil for helping me sleep 20 mg...I wonder if thats enough? I hate the extra weight...
  2. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I don't currently take a antidepressant but I have tried many of them including Cymbalta. It caused severe diarrhea and I had to stop it.

Wellbutrin SR is an antidepressant and is often used to help in weight loss. I took it and lost almost 80lbs and my docs asked me to stop. Since stopping it I have asked to go back on it because it helped increase my energy. The only thing I don't like is it's available now in generic (bupropion) and does nothing for me. My docs have tried pushing Wellbutrin XL and it does nothing for me. Just recently my new doc has written for brand Wellbutrin SR not to be substituted.

I can't think of any more that don't cause weight gain but I know there are more. Maybe someone will have more ideas.

Carolin
    [This Message was Edited on 04/19/2007]
  3. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I was written a prescription for Wellbutrin as well and am well aware that I do need some type of antidepressant. But I never got the prescription filled as I was told that it may make me feel anxious, fidgety and worsen my already unbearable insomnia.

So here I sit. Diabetic and cannot afford to put on weight. I have worked far too diligently to lose the thirty pounds that I have. But I recognize that I need help with the depression and Wellbutrin sounds like the safest insofar as no weight gain. Has anyone else had worsened anxiety or increased insomnia from taking Wellbutrin? (I am writing this at 4:25 a.m. and praying to get sleepy sometime before the sun comes up!) Now that can't help with depression either, can it?
  4. Apocalipstick

Apocalipstick New Member

Lexapro was the best anti-depressent/anti-anxiety med out there for me. Elavil kicked my butt.....well it made my butt bigger in anycase.
  5. Apocalipstick

Apocalipstick New Member

Lexapro was the best anti-depressent/anti-anxiety med out there for me. Elavil kicked my butt.....well it made my butt bigger in anycase.
  6. Didoe

Didoe New Member

Depression has to be carefully diagnosed; because there are many different types and each type of depression responds or not, to a specific category of antidepressant.

What may appear to be depression can be a medical issue, so even before you start with antidepressants/psychs you really need extensive bloodwork to rule out deficiencies. BEing deficient in B vitamins can bring on symptoms of psychosis, dementia and depression--at times alot of us with FM suffer mild versions or some or all of these and it feels like we're inside a black hole. Having gastro issues, also part of FM, makes absorbing vitamins difficult, it become a vicious cycle. SO throwing an antidepressant into the mix when the basic underlying health issues are not resolved wont help.

There's no antidepressant that works the same for every person, some categories of antidepressants are generally known to have specific side effects like weight gain, but again, what happens to one person may not happen to you.

All that aside, Wellbutrin is marketed as an antianxiety/antidepressant that is also used now to help people stop smoking and in studies for that, people have actually LOST weight while on Wellbutrin.

good luck
  7. laurie53spooky

laurie53spooky New Member

I am on effexor now and I have gained a good 10 pounds in 6 months. I was on elavil for almost 15 years and lost weight while on it! What really upsets me is we moved out of state and my new doctor wanted me off of the elavil.
    I tried arguing with him but he would not give me a straight answer why. Zoloft wiped me out as did the lexapro. I only take the lowest mg. of effexor because the higher dose of 75mg made me a zombie. I hate it when you find something that works and another doctor won't accept it. Sometimes I feel they are in the drug companies pockets!
  8. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Thanks for the post on Lexapro. I will see what I can find on it too. I think I may need it sooner than later.