Is there another way to lower free testosterone levels besides BCP?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Nichole87, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Nichole87

Nichole87 New Member

Hello,
    I'm a 23 year old female and I recently had some blood work done and my free testosterone level came back at a 8.4 and the maximum level for my range was 7.4. I have oily skin that is very acne prone, thin, and photosensitive. My endocrinologist suggested I take the birth control Ovcon. I really don't want to take birth control because I heard it can cause photosensitivity and brown spots in the skin and it can mess up hormones even worse. Does anyone know of another medication or supplement or diet than can lower free testosterone? Or maybe even a birth control that doesn't cause the problems I'm concerned about?

Thanks in advance!

2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Welcome, you're new to the Board. Actually, ProHealth does not provide any doctors here so the only answers you get are from people like you.

You pay a doctor to provide you with services, his/her opinion and treatment. It is okay to ask questions, to make your preferences known and to take control of your health.

Since you are under the care of a doctor, I believe you should be completely open and honest with your doctor, tell him/her what you have heard (about photosensitivity, brown spots, messing up your hormones and even worse) and let the doctor address your concerns and tell you whether those concerns are true or false. Partner together with your doctor to find what works to achieve the result you need that will be safe, will not interfere with any other meds or supplements you may be taking and will satisfy both you and your doctor. But if you are not willing to talk with your doctor, then don't go to him/her and find another doctor you will talk to.