Is there any cure for fibrofog and how do you prove it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crdmkr2004, Apr 5, 2006.

1. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

I am curious as to whether or not there is something to help with the fibro fog. I told my rheumy about it and he sent a letter to the disability insurance company saying how forgetful I am, but my psychiatrist (on my first visit)wrote on her consult letter that I didn't have any cognitive problems,now how am I going to prove otherwise. I hate forgetting things. I used to be a multitasker and now I have to complete one thing at a time or I know I will forget what I was doing. I can't watch movies anymore either because I forget what is happening and my concentration for that long is poor. I hate the fact that I have lost my short term memory. Any suggestions?
    Thanks a bunch
  2. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

B12 injections have worked pretty good for me. Take 1/3 CC every other day. Keep your blood sugars at a good level. But I do forget things all the time. I have to write everything down and then lose my todo list. I have tried using a PDA but never remember to carry it. One night I was out and lost my keys, check book, cell phone. Got them all back but frustrating as all get out.
  3. kbak

kbak Member

When I swithed to a no or low gluten diet I noticed a big change in my brain fog. I really think that even people that are not celiac (gluten intolerant) benefit from this diet. I also take B12 shots.

K.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

crdmkr2004:
    I get fibro fog at least once a month and it ends up being pretty bad.
    But: I do not know of anything that will help. I will follow this post and see if anyone has any other tips.
    I sure need it, too.

n.f.
  5. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

me with the fibro fog.
    Sue
  6. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I forget details of conversations, titles of movies, peoples' names, I couldn't remember my wedding date the other day, I sometimes can't remember my phone number, zip code, etc.

I can't read those "tickers" on cable news channels because my brain can't process the info. fast enough, it doesn't make sense to me. News headlines online and in the newspaper frustrate me because they don't make sense. I just don't get them! I have to ask my husband what they mean.

I had to drop out of nursing school because I just didn't "get" certain things like I used to. People would look at you like you were a moron.

My husband says, "All people have this from time to time, don't they? It is not necessarily related to fibro" He says he has never noticed me having problems. I said well I guess you have always thought I was just a dumb blonde then!

Sometimes I fear that I am going to lose my entire memory! It is scary to me at times, especially when you can't remember your wedding date.

I don't know of anything that makes it better. Wish I did!

Hugs,

Deena
  7. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

I think I will try some of the supplements. I see a psychiatrist but all she does if give me meds. My Rhematologists thinks my depression and forgetfullness and fog has nothing to do with fibro., he thinks that it is all to do with stress and all my other issues in my life, deaths, work, etc. So if he thinks that then do you think the psychiatrist thinks that too. Maybe they both think they can just get my depression under control with meds and I will be fixed. How do I convince them otherwise. I didn't even know how to flush the toilet the other morning, I thought I had to press a button. I have left the house without combing my hair, although it was scrunch dried and hairspray in it. I feel I am going crazy some days and everyone just says "yeah, I forget things too, you're just stressed" grrrrrrr. Anyways, sorry to rant. Thanks again
  8. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

I have it and it's really frustrating. My doctor (rheumatologist) says it's part of FM. He told me to write in a journal about all my feelings, what I did during the day, everything I think about and to review it during the day. He said that also will release stress that builds up in the body. I also make a list of things I want to do during the day and when I do something on the list, I cross it off. Also when I go out, I make a list of everywhere I want to go and cross off each thing as I do it. When I go to the grocery store, I make a list on an envelope and put my coupons inside the envelope. Making lists is one of the best things I can suggest. I have a calendar that I put everything on, too. I would love to find a vitamin or something that would 'clear my brain'.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Fibro Fog and cognitive problems, while possibly related, are not one and the same. Before I started the Guai Treatment, I felt as though I was navigating through pea soup fog. I had to hold onto furniture just to walk through my condo. The Guai almost immediately cleared that up.

Still, when I'm tired, I will suffer from memory problems, dyslexia, and an inability to think things through or handle more complex thought processes.

Love, Mikie
  10. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    I'm sorry yur psychiatrist is so short-sighted. Here are some thngs that have helpd me.

For short term help, I use cafeine or berries. I make a mixture of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, add a little basalmic vinegar and something to sweeten, and put them in the fridge. I eat a cup as a time, once or twice a day, (with a handful of mixed walnuts and almonds). (This is a recipie from the Barefoot Contessa). I find that the berries help my concentration.

Reducing stress also helps.

What has really helped my Fibro Fog is Acupuncture. I was not going to the Acupuncturist for that, but when I missed an appointment because I was waiting at the wrong building, he started working on it. Now I can actually not only read longer, but I remember most of what I read. I am so happy!

I hope these ideas help you. By the way, if you have to prove your Fibro Fog, you might document your forgetfulness by marking each time in a journal. Be sure to use a bound book.

Good luck,
    Hugs,
    Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 04/06/2006]
  11. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

I think choclate help me also, although I don't eat it as much as I want. For some reason I just can't lose weight eating it. :)

Halo
  12. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

Everyone suggestions are great. Thanks everyone for all your help. This is very frustrating and even more frustrating when people don't understand or believe you.
    Take care all
  13. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I found out the difference between brain fog and cognitive problems when I went on a gluten free diet and then cheated by eating some wheat bread. Never again.

I haven't found a fix for my cognitive problems,but I am hoping since the fog is gone, I will eventually be able to concentrate better.

I had nueropsychological testing done to prove my cognitive problems for me, my doctor, and my disability insurance. CFIDS/FM people have distinct problems. Have you tried that ? If not, be sure you go to someone who is familiar with this DD.

take care ... marcia
  14. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

The Guaifenesin protocol is slowly helping me, with it's associated low carb diet making the biggest difference.

Can you make a formal complaint about this psychiatrist's misinformation on that form, or ask for a second opinion? It is so vital that you are properly evaluated for your claims form.

Best wishes x
  15. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

My DO Doctor just put me on this stuff. I can't do needles on myself with the B he gave me so he said to try this stuff to see if it helps with the fatigue but I think it helps some folks with memory problems too. I may be wrong. It is a pill.

Metanx-
    L-Methylfolate(Metafolin 2.8mg)
    Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate(B6) 25mg
    Methylcobalamin(B12) 2mg.
    It is an Rx costs about $1.00 a day.

Dee50:)
    [This Message was Edited on 04/08/2006]