Is there any end to the "symptoms"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by atpeace, May 10, 2006.

1. atpeace

atpeace New Member

I've been noticing pretty deep ridges in my fingernails lately...not a very uncommon thing for me, but I've never really thought much about it.

I decided to look it up on the internet, and lo and behold, the first site I looked at said that ridges in nails can be a symptom of FMS.

Same thing happened a few months ago when I decided to look up "lower pelvic pain", which I've been dealing with off and on. Apparently, that's also a common symptom of FMS.

Is there no END, for crying out loud?! Sorry....just had to vent for a second.

Lori
  2. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

Sorry...but there is no end. The list goes on and on.
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

....at least not by those who write about the illnesses. But that's where it can get tricky because we get the idea that every symptom we might have is CFS/FM. Not necessarily true.

The icing on the cake: we get to figure it out.

Marta
  4. atpeace

atpeace New Member

Yeah, it seems like every little thing (not to mention the big ones) seems to be related to my FMS!

It hadn't even occurred to me that the fingernail ridges or lower pelvic pain could be attributed to the fibro. That hadn't crossed my mind.

I nearly cried when I read that about the fingernails this morning. Seriously. I almost want my symptoms to be something different...even if it's more serious...because there is nothing that can be done if it's FMS. It just becomes another symptom you have to live with.

Yikes, I'm really in a negative mood today. I'm sure that's just a symptom of my FMS acting up. ;)

Lori
  5. atpeace

atpeace New Member

They go up and down. Is that a bad thing?

Lori
  6. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

When I was interviewed for my local paper I gave the reporter a copy of the symptoms of CFS/FM. It was nine pages long!

I did not read all of it. Too depressing.

God Bless.
  7. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

but nope, no end.
    Tigger
  8. cbella

cbella New Member

is -- no matter what our age is, mine is 56---are we going to be taking pain pills until the day we die? I'm hoping I live to a ripe old age, but I can't imagine subjecting my body to pain meds for the next 20 or 30 years?! I came down with this lovely disease 2 1/2 years ago and it started out slow. First magnesium was enough for the pain. Then I started taking a half of a ultram once in a while and now I'm taking meds round the clock. Ultram ER 100mg and for break through lortab. I don't want to be taking lortab every day, but it seems to help me get through the day easier. Does anyone have days that don't need any meds? Everytime I try to cut back, I pay for it! Thanks for letting me vent! cbella
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2006]
  9. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

and I wonder the same thing about the meds. If I start with the pain meds now and my body continues to build up tollerance to them what will I be taking in 20 years??!?

The list does seem to go on and on. And it does seem that docs tend to brush us aside a bit because of it. We have to be quite aggressive to get adequate testing done.

Sometimes someone will post a symptom and I'll laugh to myself because I have the same symptom but thought everyone felt that way - it's always eye-opening to realize it isn't normal.

Sometimes I just think we are a different kind of human.

Sofi
  10. Scarlett2

Scarlett2 New Member

When I started to check off all my fibro symptoms on one of those list of possible symptoms, I was shocked at how many I had either now or in the past. Seems that I've had this most of my life without knowing it. Most drs just thought I was a chronic complainer until about 5 years ago when my current dr finally put it all together. I added them up and I had about 85% of the symptoms. (including fingernail ridges which I hadn't heard of til now!)

I fully expect to be taking pain pills for the rest of my life. (Plus a myriad of other pills!) And the thought of a long life is truly frightening. I don't want to live with this for another 20-30 years. (I'm 54 now) And considering that I'm allergic to all but the most gentle of pain killers, I'm very limited to what I can take.

I have a friend with MS and I've seen the way she's declined over the past 10 years or so and even though fibro isn't in that catagory, it's still debilitating and it's frightening.

When I have a good day, I do so much to make up for my bad days that I pay for it for several days. Plus, I have no choice but to work for a living since I live alone and there's nobody but me to pay my bills, I have to put on a happy face even when I'm in horrible pain. My co-workers know about my condition, but I don't want to be one of those who is constantly complaining. Seems like a no win situation. Plus, my arthritis is getting worse too. Feels like a double whammy!

Guess I'm just venting too. Sorry.

Scarlett
  11. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

Good Lord. I was just recently noticing that i had developed ridges in my fingernails, but had no idea that was related too. it's disgusting really. i'm sick and tired of this ... whatever the blazes it is.
  12. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

make it so we don't have to take as many pills in the next 10-20 years.Linda
  13. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

my fingernails, for years, have had ridges. this is also common in people with psoriasis which i have.

also, lately due to much extra stress, i have dipped into a depression more noticable to me than ever before. i do take lexapro (for a few yrs) and really need to contact my pcp about this.

oh, and pain meds! i need pain meds! i've only been given tramadol which doesn't do much for me. a month ago when i was in terrible pain due to a toothache, i did a stupid thing. i doubled up on the tramadol cuz it was the weekend and was a fairly low dosage.

well, i ended up in the emergency room monday morning due to that. i cannot take tramadol any longer. this pain of recent weeks from fm in general is contributing to my depression cuz otc pain meds can't cut it. my fault, i know, i am calling pcp TODAY cuz i can no longer endure.

but, yes, fingernail ridges are a fm symptom and psoriasis symptom. geezm. you're correct: doesn't seem to end.
  14. atpeace

atpeace New Member

Quote by F4C: "There is an end to the symptoms... it's called IBS. LOL!"

LOL! I know about that one, too, unfortunately. IBS symptoms started about 3 years ago.

I've always heard that FMS isn't progressive...that it ebbs and flows. But in reading this board for quite a while now it seems that, for some people, it IS progressive.

Like y'all, that makes me concerned for the future. Thankfully, I'm still very active right now. Active, but in pain, etc. If I feel like cr@p at 40, how in the world am I gonna feel when I get older and "normal" aches, etc. set in as well?

I can only live with it best I can and try to keep my attitude good and my spirits up (except for yesterday!).

Lori

15. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

atpeace:

I know what you mean. I am in terrible pain today and the meds are barely touching it. I also feel like my arms are not connected to my neck or spine. I am so awarkward and achey and have muscle tightness and pain in my hips, along with the allergy season and humidity and rain headed this way.

You're right--no end to it.

nyrofan
  16. atpeace

atpeace New Member

I'm sorry you're feeling so crummy today, NF.

It is funny how we can feel a big weather front coming, isn't it? I feel just like my Grandpa! ;)

I pray that tomorrow will be a better day for you!

And thank you everyone for responding to my terribly depressing posts yesterday! It's so great and really does help to have somewhere to vent where people REALLY UNDERSTAND!

Lori

[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]
  17. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

There will never be an end of symptoms until there are better treatments out there for those with FMS. I have CFS, and IBS. Each are wqually bad and I hate the IBS more than anything, no reason to pain have twice in my body, from the fibro and stomach cramps....yuck....

However my Balance ball is my friend that helps me workout a little and errr ummmm relieve some of the errr ummm IBS problems and Fibro probs.
  18. atpeace

atpeace New Member

Yes, working out (gently) helps me, as well. If I go more than a few days without any exercise, I feel all stiff and sore. When I work out, as least I feel loose and sore, LOL.

Donna...I didn't know that about apnea and nails! I learn something new here every day.

Lori

[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]
  19. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Here is another one for you. Take another look at your finger nails and you might find you have few or no moons on your finger nails. The moons are on your thumbs only. Is this you? Love Denamay
  20. atpeace

atpeace New Member

Hmmm.....only really obvious ones on my thumbs. My middle fingers and index fingers have very tiny and faint moons.

I never really paid attention to my moons before, so I don't know if mine were never there or if they're disappearing! LOL!

Is that condition common for everyone?

Lori