Is there anyone else that cannot walk on ice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Jan 17, 2007.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I dread snow mixed with below 20 degree weather, which means ice on the pavement. I drive, but I have to make my way from the parking lot to the car, at both home and work. At least at work they salt the parking lot. At home, they'll only salt the walkway leading to the doors, but the parking lot will be a sheet of ice. In my state, even if they don't salt it, they must remove it. We have senior citizens, kids walking to buses, people walking dogs, etc. This is my one major complaint about this apartment community.

I literally can no longer walk on ice. It's been this way for a few years now. Is it the vertigo of CFIDS and/or Fibro? I have to walk like a baby taking their first steps when it comes to walking on ice.
  2. JustinD

JustinD New Member

sonmetimes being tense and nervous tend to through off your balance. I have noticed whenever I walk on ice and am nervous about falling I usually do but when I am relaxed I am able to balance a little better and react to a little slipage.
  3. kbak

kbak Member

SweetT,
    I so sympathize with you! I look like I'm 110 when I'm out in the snow and ice. I have fallen down at least once every single yr. for the past several yrs. Thank-God I haven't broken anything.

I have CFIDs and it does affect your brain, so I assume it's a balance problem. Now sometimes it just takes awhile for things to dawn on me but I did buy some spikes that

you can put over your shoes called "Get a grip sure foot".

Why in the world I didn't do that before, slow brain. You should be able to google this and find them. You'll never have to worry about falling again. They slip on and off very easy.

Hope this helps,

kbak

4. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

I'm this way too, but more for emotional reasons. Falling on the ice is what started my fibro, so I hate to walk on it, but force myself if I absolutely have to.

If you know you're going to have to walk across your icy parking lot, I would suggest carrying a baggie filled with kitty litter or sand so you don't slip. This might help.

Kat
  5. TKE

TKE New Member

We often get freezing rain/ice her in central PA. Well not this year, heck we ain't had snow yet!

The best way to walk on ice & not fall is to take "baby steps". You may look funny, but you won't end up in the ER with broken bones. Falls can do major damage & should be prevented at all cost.

Our dexterity isn't as good as we get older. Toss in FMS/etc & yes falling comes more often for some.

I NEVER fall on ice, but my Huz has several times. I finally got him to do the baby steps thing & since then he hasn't fallen either. Course if the ice is wet on top then the best thing is to use kitty litter or sand first. Carry a coffee can or ziploc bag with some in. Toss some out in front of you as you go & step on it.

[This Message was Edited on 01/17/2007]
  6. lillyrose33

lillyrose33 New Member

I think that onece you have fallen it is in the back of your mind that it will happen again.
    I have Menieres and Fibro and now I am scared to death of the ice and snow and even the rain.
    I have fallen three times since I have been diagnosed with the Menieres and hurt myself two of the times seriously.
    I am to carefull I think sometimes but I don't take any chances, I have to go out and life goes on but it does worry me and makes me even more tense than what I have to be.
    I feel it is the vertigo that is keeping me off balance not the fibro. Just be carefull as you can be, even without any of the problems we have ice is dangerous.

lillyrose
  7. llama

llama New Member

I've been afraid to walk on ice since I was a child. My friends would be racing past me and intentionally trying to slide! I know I must have looked like a real loser.

Well, now that I'm much older...who cares? I also do the "baby-step" walk like some other poster described. If I'm walking down hill, I baby-step sideways. (knock on wood), I've overall had very few falls.

I think my problem has always stemmed from a balance/dizziness feeling. I also have trouble going down steps,(icy or not) seems to be a depth perception problem.

Good post....take care.................Jill........
  8. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I can no longer gracefully walk down steps, looking out instead of down at my feet, if I don't want to tumble down the steps. And going up the stairs is a chore also, when I have an Arthritis flare.

Ice is sooooooooo scary.
  9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi SweetT,

I don't get it? Maybe it's because I'm in TX, although I grew up in Oklahoma where we had our share of ice storms. I don't know if you've seen the national news, but TX and OK have been socked with major ice. We just got finished with a major 3-day ice storm, and living in Austin, that's just UNHEARD of.

People really play it safe around here for the most part, and few people just walk on ice because it's slippery and they don't want to fall.

Our emergency medical teams, departments of transportation, etc were telling everyone, more like URGING everyone to stay of the roads as well as their own porches and driveways. They said that they see tons of people in the ER who fall down on their own porches and driveways and break bones on the ICE. And that's totally healthy, able-bodied people!

I don't understand why your apartment community is being so cavalier. Maybe they think everyone in OH is used to ice and snow? My hubby is from OH too and I had to yell at him not to go outside when our driveway was iced over. When a surface is completely slippery, how is that they expect people not to fall? Just science folks.

I wonder if there are special shoes or boots you can wear to help? STAY SAFE.

Erika
  10. Teresa6868

Teresa6868 New Member

and with all the ice storms this week walking on this thick stuff is impossible.

I heard today to turn an old pair of socks wrong side out and put them on over your shoes and you will be okay walking on ice.

I am trying it tomorrow, will let you know how upright I stay or not

Soft hugs, Teresa
  11. TKE

TKE New Member

>>Maybe they think everyone in OH is used to ice and snow?<<
    You wouldn't understand unless you lived in the north/northeast. A normal winter will have the ground/street/driveways/etc coated in snow or ice for weeks or months. If the temps stay at or below freezing we can have ground cover all winter. Those of us who live in the frozen north are expected to just deal with the snow & ice.

Here in central PA they do a quick run down the street with the plow, toss down some salt & anti-skid material & you're on your own after that. Many public sidewalks do NOT have to be cleared, but business owners usually do them anyway. The sidewalks were there are no business do not get cleared off & there's signs stating so. Parking lots are at the owners discretion when it comes to clearing/salting.

In 1993 we had several feet of snow that winter. In March of 1993 a Nor'easter/blizzard that dropped 36 inches of snow on us in several hours. The plow trucks gave up. Even after the plows were able to get out again the roads were packed solid with ice & snow a good 8 inches deep. There were big ruts you had to drive in on the main roads. Secondary roads were even worse. A few days later we got hit with another 32 inches of snow. The roads were a mess for weeks. We struggled to find room to pile all this snow off our sidewalks, driveways, etc. In one area we had it piled over 7 foot high, as did all of our neighbors.

Most work places here do NOT close just because it snowed or we had freezing rain. We're expected to tough it out & deal with it & get to work. The only way work or anything else stops here is if the Governor shuts the roads down & that's not too often. Oh & were no longer allowed, by law, to use studded tires. The banned them becaused the caused much damage to the roads.

As for shoes...rubber soles are the best for walking on ice. Leather soles are the worst.

I can see how living in an area that doesn't normally get snow or ice can be a real ordeal.
  12. BlackPanther

BlackPanther New Member

hi sweet, one of the mail order catalogs, as well as Lands End has rubber straps with cleats on the bottoms for walking on ice. They work. Also, use a cane for a "3rd" foot.

If it isn't Lands End it is Eddie Bauer. They will send you catalogs and they may even have on line ordering.

Me, If it's icy I stay inside!!!!

Panther
  13. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

We get a lot of ice to walk on here in the mountains of Idaho. I haven't fallen yet (knock on wood). What I do, is take a wide stance and sort of ice skate my feet along in small skates. The hard part is when the ice slopes a bit. Then I try to find some untracked snow to plant my feet in as I take my steps up or downward. Sometimes, I swear it would be easier to sit on my bottom and slide!
    Mini
  14. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

SweetT:

I have fallen twice on ice. And it was off to the hospital in the ambulance.

If you can, get someone who can help you to the car.If not:
    your baby steps should protect you.

Also: if there is s snow bank next to the parking lot and if it is near the ice why notwalk on the snow. I do it and it makes my life easier.

Sorry for any typos; I have Fibro-Fog today.

nyrofan
  15. SweetT

SweetT New Member

in my parking lot, the snowbank will be right before my car. To get in my car, I have to walk on the sheet of ice. So basically, I have to hold onto my car to get in my car.

I did complain to Management and they said that they'll make sure that they pay more attention to the parking lot. Aren't they liable if I or my kids or guests fall and hurt ourselves really bad? Isn't the parking lot their responsibility since I'm renting? I know that my belongings are covered under my renter's insurance. But what about falling in their parking lot?