Is there anyone in Calif dealing with Workers Comp?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Achy-shaky, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I'm getting very frustrated - my workers comp attorney says I shouldn't file for SSI until my case settles and now I'm not getting anything...funds or treatment. Can anyone out there explain what I'm supposed to live on in the mean time. I'm doing some freelance tutoring which is less than 700/mo so I qualify to apply for SS but attorney says it will hold up the workers comp process if I file now. I don't want to wait too long to file for SS since I haven't been able to work fulltime since beginning of year. It's just another bureaucratic catch-22!

Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be appreciate much!!

Thank you,
    Jessi

2. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I'm getting very frustrated - my workers comp attorney says I shouldn't file for SSI until my case settles and now I'm not getting anything...funds or treatment. Can anyone out there explain what I'm supposed to live on in the mean time. I'm doing some freelance tutoring which is less than 700/mo so I qualify to apply for SS but attorney says it will hold up the workers comp process if I file now. I don't want to wait too long to file for SS since I haven't been able to work fulltime since beginning of year. It's just another bureaucratic catch-22!

Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be appreciate much!!

Thank you,
    Jessi

3. maxtout

maxtout New Member

....and I think you'd better find a different lawyer. My workman's comp. attorney encouraged me from the very beginning to go ahead and apply for SSDI, which I did and am I very glad I did. Not once did he suggest that applying for SSDI would affect my worker's comp. process or outcome in any way. It took about two years to get SSDI and my workman's comp. case is still in limbo (going on 4 years now and it has nothing to do with the SSDI filing). Your attorney sounds like his head is full of something other than brains, if you know what I mean. Best of luck to you in finding a competent attorney.