Is there anyone who deals with debt counseling those on Disability?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jeramy, Nov 11, 2008.

  1. Jeramy

    Jeramy New Member

    I have thankfully been on disability for almost a year now, BUT we all know it's not enough. I am also going through a divorce. Needless to say, my income is really limited. There is a huge pile of debt that has yet to be settled between my stbx and I, but meanwhile I have to pay these credit card bills till the division of debt is settled. I can't afford the payments I have now. I know there are a lot of debt consolidation places out there and/or I can play credit card roulette and find lower interest rate cards to transfer the debt. BUT, I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get debt reduced or forgiven because of inability to pay due to disability without hurting your credit rating? (I know that some credit cards do forgive debt due to disability, BUT only if you had previously signed up for a payment protector plan or insurance of some sort.)
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
  2. spacee

    spacee Member

    I really think an attorney is the one for the who deals with bankruptcy. That ususally costs money though. I think they can work out "things" with credit card places to offer "cents on the dollar". And I have know a woman who was able to do that with the IRS too.
    Of course, the key is having SOME money to do that with. And no money is usually the problem.

    Wishing you the best.


[ advertisement ]