Is there anyway to get out of the fatigue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckzim, Mar 18, 2006.

1. ckzim

ckzim New Member

Right now that is my biggest symtom of Fibro, other than the pain.

I call fatigue, just plain don't have the enegry to even get dressed every day...no matter how much sleep I get...which isn't much...3-4 hours maybe a night.

I do notice that it's not as bad,if I get the pain under control...almost feels like the 500 pd jumpsuit that was holding me down, has been lifted.

But other than that...is there another way to combat this Fatigue...??
    KathyZ

2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Pacing - do just a little at a time & rest in between, never allowing yourself to do too much in a day. That's the theory anyway!
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

My docs also tell me to pace myself.

They also tell me to MAKE MYSELF walk. They say to start out with a 5 min. walk -- down the driveway and back, and each time walk 1 min. longer. They want me to be able to walk for 15 min. by the time I go back for a checkup.

Of course, eventually, they say your stamina will build up and you could walk for 30 min. a day easily. (???????)

My daughter is also a physician and she agrees that the walking WILL improve your fatigue .... if you can just take the first step out the door to get started!!!! LOL

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

People with CFS do not respond to exercise the way normal people do. Pay very close attention to your body. It will tell you when you have reached your limit.

Pace yourself when you walk. When I first started walking, I was walking as briskly as I could. I hit a wall at 15 minutes and just could not walk any longer without getting post-exertional exhaustion. When I started walking more slowly I could walk longer. Not only longer in time, but longer in distance.

I still have a tendency to walk too fast, due to long years of habit. If I realize that I have been walking too fast and am starting to get over-tired, I will stop and rest for a bit.
  5. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

I have CFS only with no FM. Exercise does seem to have a different impact on us.

I love exercise but found that it stamina was not improved by gradual exercise... even when I tried a gradual walking program that lasted nearly a year. Later I read research that identified differences between CFS and FM.

I now use strength training. I think one reason it has worked is because of the nature of the exercise. A set is complete followed by a rest.

These helped with improving stamina but, to be honest, nothing seem to help until sleep issues were under control. It just felt like I was forcing myself through with no regeneration. I get about 9-10 hours of solid sleep nowadays.
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

If you are not taking good multivitamin/mineral supplement I suggest you try it.

A couple of weeks ago I started taking a good vitamin and have noticed dramatic results.

Even my sleep is better. I certainly have alot more energy.

In my case my diet was not balanced due to having alot of digestive problems over the past two years.

7. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

3-4 hours of sleep a night would make anybody tired. Have you talked with your physician about sleeping meds? I think that would be a good place to start and best wishes. foxglove
  8. kch64

kch64 New Member

I was having a very bad time of it several weeks ago.

I bought some NADH/Enada off this site and it helped me within a few days.

I haven't taken it in two weeks, and I'm still O.K.

I would highly recommend it.

Kendra
  9. ckzim

ckzim New Member

I will try...and start the walking..and do it in moderation Pace ..Kathy..Pace.
    ...when I go to the mall out of necssity, I end up in pain...so I got it in my head...walk=hurt=pain.

Yes...my sleep problem is a horrible problem...doc is trying me on different meds for this..but nothing is helping.. If I could only find something to put me to sleep fast...and keep me there..for awhile...
    I've told the doc I get up every hour and half...she just sort of says...take these. Back and forth I go...

I appreciate you all for helping.
    KathyZ

10. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Perhaps a combination of meds would help your sleep. For me lately 4mg of Zanaflex and 1 mg of Klonopin has helped significantly. I've also tried Lunesta and Ambien.
  11. NancyDiane

NancyDiane New Member

Hi ckzim,

I've never replied before but my doctor put me on the drug Provigil and it has saved me from fatigue. I was to the point where I could not get through the day. I still am tired but the fog is completely gone. It is expensive though and not all insurances cover it. Fortunately mine did.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2006]
  12. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I used this in the past for fatique and it worked quite well.
  13. ckzim

ckzim New Member

NancyDiane,and jbennet...for the tips...I am on my way to the doctor now, and will check into both theProvigil and co q10..I'm trying to get all I've found here before I go in today....

Thanks again!
    KathyZ