is there hope after ten years?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mermaid, Dec 17, 2002.

1. mermaid

mermaid New Member

I was recently passed my ten year "anniversary" with CFIDS, and I am realizing that I may finally have to shift my thinking. (Guess I'm a slow learner!!) All these years I have held out hope that I will someday get well, and I have spent them waiting to recover and return to some semblance of a life. Now I am thinking that this IS my life and I am trying to come to acceptance that this is okay. To make a life with what is happening now, rather than what I want it to be. I will never be my old self again. For one thing, I'm ten years older! I will never completely give up hope, but I feel I have to get some peace of mind about this. Can anyone offer some words of wisdom?
  2. lucky

lucky New Member

I gad CFS/FMS for at least 15 years if not much longer (before being diagnosed), but I am more hopeful than ever with the progressive research and more understanding of these illnesses that we will get some greatly deserved break in the near future.
    So, never give up as hard as to live with these dd's for so long.
    Take care, Lucky
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

my 10 year mark is this Thursday the 19th. I think there is hope - how can you survive without it? I keep going by trying new treatments - it makes me feel like I'm doing something for myself besides waiting.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Seems I have missed your first post, so here is a big belated welcome to the board!

I think that there is hope for us. I have had Fibro for 20 years, and have gotten much better in the last two years.

Mostly from this board, and the good people here.

I do have the same idea that you do, I am 20 years older, and therefore will never be 'who' I was before that, I think that is just the progress of life, plus we do have a drawback to deal with unlike those who are ageing without FM/CFS!

I look at my old self, more or less like I look at my youth. I would not be doing those things that I did before I got Fibro, or would I be doing the things I did at say, 16 years old either.

I know we have to move on, one way or the other.

I learned to live my life like it is, and try not to go back where I can't go anyway! I went through the grieving for it, the sadness, the hopelessness etc.

But I have learned to love my life as it is, and to try to progress from here, looking back has never help anyone no matter what the situation is/was.

You have a good attitude, do what you can now and enjoy every minute of it.

From reading about CFS, I personally think it is more disabling than Fibro, I maybe wrong, but I am not tired and fatigued as often as they/you are.

I probably have more pain, but I have learned how to deal with it, and lately have been almost pain free, not completely, but close!

I learned to pace myself, I avoid stressful situation, I do try to think of me first, and weight the conquences of different things I want to do, before I do them.

There is always a differnt way to approach something that takes less energy and stress if we just give it some though before we jump in!

I noticed you enjoy reading, so do I. I have finally reached a point were I can read and comprehend again, this was a big improvement for me. I have gone back to serious reading again.

I also like to garden, can't do the big stuff like I used to, so I now have a garden in large pots, herbs, rose bushes, annuals, etc. I helps a whole lot as I so loved my garden. My son does the big stuff for me now, and I am content with what I am able to do.

I still have my pets, but not as many as before. I have five dogs, all were homeless, I love taking in those others don't want. They are the biggest part of my everyday life. They make me move even though I don't want to, and it is what I need sometimes.

I feel that someday they will fine a cure for both of us, when? who knows, in the mean time, I do have a productive life in a different way, but still I love my life anyway.

Again, sorry I missed your first post, and a big welcome to you!

Shalom, Shirl

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My FMS/CFS was triggered by a mycoplasma infection 12 years ago. I had to stop working two years ago and have only been diagnosed for about a year and a half.

I have taken a very proactive stance in dealing with my illnesses using integrated approaches, including therapy, first for the grieving process of what I have lost to my illnesses and now to learn how to be a well person.

What has worked for me may not work for you; we each have to find our own treatments. Becoming educated about our illnesses is where we start. Then we learn about treatments available and we seek docs who are willing to treat us.

It's a lot of work, especially when we are too tired to get out of bed some days, but it's worth it. I am getting better all the time and am hoping to return to work this summer. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie